Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
herlsone
Streaming Star

Re: Videos do not play on Roku channel

Vimeo's date format works fine, Rokus JSON spec is out of date.  There has to be some other error.

0 Kudos
herlsone
Streaming Star

Well something certainly is up.  The feed has one 35 second video that doesn't play on roku, but does play on VLC.   Yet your channel has 3 videos that dont play, none of which is the welcome one listed in the feed.

0 Kudos
Channos
Binge Watcher

1080p videos in our channel will not play on ROKU Express devices (failures occur on a 3930 Roku Express and 3931RW Roku Express+). The videos will play on Roku Ultra & Streaming Stick+ but on Roku Express devices there is only a black screen or continuous "loading" message.

Try removing the 1080P videos from your feed. I know that sounds ridiculous, but after several support tickets and no resolution from ROKU, that's the only thing we could do to make our videos playable (in 720p).

0 Kudos
Dmvtv
Channel Surfer

@Channos I had done different videos in 4k, ultra 4k, cinema 4k, 1080p and none of them worked. If you look on DMV TV, those are all in c4k but nothing plays. Vimeo actually sent me a message on email saying they cannot help and are going to discontinue Vimeo to roku and not give me a refund. Where can I post this.

0 Kudos
Videoopp
Binge Watcher

Yes, I have had the same problem with Vimeo Discontinuing support for Roku.  I have set up my own Web-based channel as a temporary solution, using Vimeo as the feed. https://adratv.com

Now I am trying to set up the Roku Feed again using WP Smart TV Word Press Plug-in, but I am getting the same release Date Error from the Roku Direct Publisher in the "Feed Status". I am now starting to wonder if Roku changed something in their JSON feed specs that has caused this problem which led Vimeo to give up.  Can you imagine trying to fix thousands of feeds?  

As I look at my JSON feed, created by WP Smart TV Plug in,  I see that they do have the date in the correct format: Here is the snippet - 

validityPeriodStart":"2023-05-23". WP Smart TV is sending the right date format.

The only thing that I can think might be happening here is that Roku is looking for this correct date under "ReleaseDate". Because there, WP Smart TV says 

"releaseDate":"18 hours ago" which would be the wrong format...

Any Thoughts on this??

0 Kudos
Dmvtv
Channel Surfer

Yes go to Vimeo, click on a video and go to advanced settings and click on the distribution and choose a link resolution that is compatible with your Roku. Keep choosing a link until you find one that works. If this doesn't help ig:kaymaker_

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Be careful making assumptions regarding what Roku accepts in the feed file.  "validityPeriodStart", according to the JSON Feed Spec, should conform to the following format:

validityPeriodStart	string	Optional	The date when the content should become available in ISO 8601format: {YYYY}-{MM}-{DD}T{hh}:{mm}:{ss}+{TZ}. For example, 2020-11-11T22:21:37+00:00

Please refer to ISO-8601 as a reference.  The Roku process that ingests your feed file is pretty poor at identifying errors and associating them with a specific area of your feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos