Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KybaTV
Channel Surfer

Videos are not being displayed on my Roku Channel - Direct Publisher | JSON Feed - Roku

Hey Community,

I'm new here, building my first channel directly from roku developers platform.

My channel is build as a Direct Publisher, the videos are being hosted in Vimeo

Here you can take a look to the JSON feed: https://kybatvjson.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/kybatvrokufeed.json

Publishing Checklist is Completed Succesfully, not showing erros. but the videos don't appear in the channel.

I will really appreciate any help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Videos are not being displayed on my Roku Channel - Direct Publisher | JSON Feed - Roku

You have not defined categories in your feed file for the tags you've specified. Did you define categories in the developer portal?

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
KybaTV
Channel Surfer

Re: Videos are not being displayed on my Roku Channel - Direct Publisher | JSON Feed - Roku

Exactly, the categories are defined on the developer portal, i just set the tags on the jSON feed.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

If you haven't resolved this problem, you should consider defining your categories in the feed file.  Defining them in the feed file means you have only one place to manage your feed file.  And, if I remember correctly, defining them in the developer's portal can be somewhat klugy.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
KybaTV
Channel Surfer

The issue still persists.

Strange because in the preview the channels looks good:

PD: channel is not published yet.

Capture22.PNGCapture10.PNG

0 Kudos
sattun
Roku Guru

Same here, I created a second RDP channel for my client and I am having the same problem, but only in the new channel not the old one, I think there is a problem with newly created RDP channels.

Roku Direct Publisher is great because its free, but you have to invest a lot of your time checking and waiting for updates to show, thats why I always recommend to my clients to go custom. 

We have a great custom Roku app that is similar to RDP, it takes the same JSON feed format and it updates the content on app launch (no more waiting hours to check if the content was updated correctly) and much more.

https://ottfeed.com/roku

DM me for more info or go to https://ottfeed.com/roku and request a demo.

Thanks,

OTTfeed: Lease a custom Roku SDK for $99/month go to https://OTTfeed.com/lease
0 Kudos
KybaTV
Channel Surfer

Still facing the same issue, pretty annoying as I didn't find a reason for the problem.

Everything is looking good on the developer site, checklist is completed, the channel looks good in the preview, but at the time to test it on the TV, nothing, no videos at all.

They seem to charge when the channel opens for the first time but nothing happen...processed (1).jpeg1011.PNG1010.PNG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

If you search this forum, you'll see many posts complaining that the Search and About icons are the only objects to display.  Roku has never indicated what the problem is.  I suspect it's a firmware incompatibility.  You may want to try removing the channel, rebooting, and re-adding it.

If that doesn't work, you should contact Roku Partner Succes directly.

0 Kudos
MessiahIT
Reel Rookie

I had a similar problem with my new channel from a Vimeo showcase.  In the preview, I can see my recent videos but nothing was showing up on Roku.  I also see that all of the items have been ingested.  This week, I now see two videos on Roku.  It appears that as new videos are added to the showcase they show up but the older ones don't.  Not sure, but it is very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
MessiahIT
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the feedback.  From what I had learned so far, your comments about Vimeo are spot on.  It appears to me they have done just enough to claim they support a feed to Roku.  

0 Kudos