Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

Streaming from Rackspace Cloud Files

I used the new Direct Publisher feature to start setting up a channel over the weekend. Everything has mostly worked great so far, except that the videos won't play. They'll start to load, but then immediately switch to the list of upcoming videos and a countdown timer until the next video starts (which ends up doing the same thing). 

Our videos are currently hosted on Rackspace Cloud Files, and the MRSS feed is using the "Streaming" URL from Cloud Files. I haven't been able to track down exactly what specific streaming technology they're using. I've seen references to "HTTP" streaming in their documentation, but I'm not sure if that's the same as HLS. 

Honestly, I'm not well versed enough in streaming to really know what the difference is, or what options are even out there. Cloud Files just lists URLs for "HTTP", "HTTPS", "Streaming" and "iOS Streaming".

Here's the MRSS feed...
http://thewellcommunity.org/podcasts/sermons/rss/media

Can anyone point me toward what might be going wrong? Is there a way to see an error message or a log of why the videos are failing to play?

Thanks,
Jeff

EDIT: The MRSS feed will change as I'm debugging and trying new things. Here's a "Streaming" URL for one of the videos...
http://77bc14c476a76f4d2bc7-2087bcec364 ... m/6069.mp4
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

Re: Streaming from Rackspace Cloud Files

I was able to get the videos working by using the "HTTPS" URL from Cloud Files, and then chose "MP4, MOV or M4V" for the feed type in Direct Publisher. 

Is that going to cause any issues? Is it worth my time to continue trying to get the streaming URL working?
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

hey man! I'm in central california too.

did you get this worked out? i'm looking at converting our church's roku channel to direct publisher. i haven't had much luck with the JSON option, so now i'm looking at using MRSS.
0 Kudos
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

"genepensiero" wrote:
did you get this worked out? i'm looking at converting our church's roku channel to direct publisher. i haven't had much luck with the JSON option, so now i'm looking at using MRSS.

I was able to get it working using a different URL. Not sure if you're using Rackspace CloudFiles, but they have 4 URLs for each file (HTTP, HTTPS, Streaming and iOS Streaming). I was trying to use the Streaming URL originally, but switched to HTTPS, and the videos seem to be working fine now.

The only problem I'm still having is that my categorized videos are not showing up in chronological order.
0 Kudos