Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathansafa
Visitor

Screenshots on Roku Direct Pub

For some reason, screenshots is still not working. 
When I am using the tool provided, it takes a screenshot, but it has brown boxes, lorem impum text... it is clearly not working. 
Any ideas? Sample Image
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Screenshots on Roku Direct Pub

What content type are you trying to use in your feed?  "Series" can be extremely temperamental where "movies" are pretty straight forward. 

If you want, post your feed address so we can have a look at it or send me a private message with the feed.  I should be able to give you an answer quickly.
0 Kudos

If you are using the Series > Season > Episode content type the preview image does not work.  All you will be able to verify though the preview image would be if your categories are loading.  If they are, you can then only test the channel using your Roku Box.
0 Kudos
Jonathansafa
Visitor

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
If you are using the Series > Season > Episode content type the preview image does not work.  All you will be able to verify though the preview image would be if your categories are loading.  If they are, you can then only test the channel using your Roku Box.

I am using "shortFormVideos," not "Series". 
When will all these bugs be fixed? 
0 Kudos

We have been told "fixes" for some issues will be implemented sometime in July.  But no guarantee.  
0 Kudos
donp88
Channel Surfer

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
What content type are you trying to use in your feed?  "Series" can be extremely temperamental where "movies" are pretty straight forward. 

If you want, post your feed address so we can have a look at it or send me a private message with the feed.  I should be able to give you an answer quickly.

I agree with mediadisconnect that it's best to work with a partner for finding out channel issues - two eyes are better than one.  Share your feed or part of your feed with issues in this post or via private message and we can help you work out your problems.
It could be an issue with thumbnail size, or location, or how it setup up in the feed.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

One bug I have found in the auto generated thumbnail that is most annoying AND prevented Roku from initially publishing my channel..

I have my first category as "live 24/7 Streams" which contains only one stream.. So when I auto-generate a thumbnail using rokus webpage for it, it generates the one channel icon and then three or four blank boxes and looks like crap.. They said they know it is a bug and they will fix it..

I think Roku is trying to be everything for everyone in one simple(complex) solution, it would probably be better if they simply wrote a simple DP player for the smaller guys and a more complex one for others.. there are so many "bugs" in DP that I think they skipped alpha testing and went straight to production. But I like Roku and will stick with them till it's all fixed.. And hopefully fully documented..

I'm seeing a catch22 going on, not too many people are using DP, so Roku doesn't allocate alot of resources to DP, but because it has so many issues and poor documentation not too many people are using DP... If it actually worked and was as easy to setup with great documentation it would be used way more then the standard API.. hence catch22..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos