Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshwho
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku to sunset Direct Publisher early next year

Why is everyone going along with this and not mad? Direct publisher works like a charm, why are we going backwards on this tech? Now I have to learn how to convert all channels I have to SDK and need a physical device to do these modifications. This is not good at all and seems to me a way to cut a lot of people out of the Roku Network. This is a very cruel stance and I hope the company changes their minds on this sunset thing. Direct publisher is genius and should not be the thing that goes away. This really pisses me of that it is being talked about, without getting anyone's opinions on how this will affect them. 

There is no reason to discontinue Direct Publisher, what is it hurting being there? What is stopping Roku from moving forward with this? 

There is no extra cost or anything, there is no support staff, what could possibly be the real reason why to do away with it? 

Please for the love of god do not get rid of "Direct Publisher"!!

0 Kudos
phlume
Streaming Star

Hey @joshwho I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but i'm sue the true reasons for the EOL are much bigger than us not wanting to learn the programming. The system with DP has been problematic for 4+ years with their feed system, the errors, system outages in general, etc. Having been through the wringer with DP I am actually pleased to se them sunset it. Perhaps my understanding of programming makes the transition a bit easier than some, but it is still a wide open platform for us to develop and roll out content with.

0 Kudos
joshwho
Channel Surfer

but why not leave it for people that have no issues with it and continue on with the new thing without disabling it. It makes no sense to be to disable something that works  for me just because it doesn't work for you. That is bogus. 

0 Kudos
phlume
Streaming Star

Again, the system *may* work for you currently, but as a whole it has been problematic for a vast majority of users over the last handful of years. I have a feelign the band-aids and duct-tape they had holding it together is starting to create larger failures that are non-repairable. If it trully worked entirely as expected, I am certain they wouldn't sunset it. There HAS to be systemmic reasons for the closure.

0 Kudos
joshwho
Channel Surfer

ll then, they should let me figure how how to make it better instead of doing away with it. I bet I can make it better. 

0 Kudos
joshwho
Channel Surfer

We suppose to be moving to cloud everything, not going backwards to a SDK app store. This is wrong. The SDK is on its own thing has no interference with DP so to me it makes no sense to do away with it. I will have to recode everything with my platform just for this change now which really pisses me off, we just finally worked out all the feed errors and how to make it flawless and now they want to dump the project. 

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

Looking forward to try your tool and see if it can help us with our feed file!

Thank you and kudos!

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.