Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

MRSS vs JSON feed

In the process of developing my channel, I built the feed using xml and json.  The channel output looks the same in each case.  I can't tell if there's any advantage to using xml over json.  I had expected that there might be some features available to me by using a json feed, but, that does not appear to be the case.  Is that because my feed is strictly 'shortFormVideo'?

What are, if any, the advantages to using a json feed over an xml feed?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: MRSS vs JSON feed

Didn't RokuTomC already answer that question for you a few days ago: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=100516&p=555123#p555123

"RokuTomC" wrote:
JSON feeds include richer metadata. The two main benefits in a JSON feed over MRSS are:

Support for additional mediaTypes other than shortForm, such as series, seasons, and movies. These additional mediaTypes also exhibit different channel behavior, namely they launch into a springboard screen with additional information about the content before clicking into video playback.Support for the "Continue Watching," "Most Popular," and "Recently Added" auto-generated categories

"RokuTomC" wrote:

Pasnow (and Baradanikto), only pre-roll ads will be served by default in a Direct Publisher channel. However, when using a JSON feed, you can include the optional adBreaks field to designate breakpoints for mid-roll ads. Note that this is another benefit of the JSON feed format over MRSS.
0 Kudos