Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musictv
Visitor

JSON Feed Errors

Hi, 

Another question for the team from Roku, and experienced folks who've worked with JW Player. I have a JSON feed that i've created within JW Player, that we're using to power another connected TV app -- and I'd like to use them for our Roku channel as well. Here's the link: https://content.jwplatform.com/feeds/prfC7c87.json.

When I input the link into the Direct Publisher web builder, I see four errors, telling me that there is no content in the file, and that certain required parameters are missing. I was under the impression that this tool works well with JW Player? 

Looking for next steps, thanks.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
mitchstein
Roku Guru

Re: JSON Feed Errors

roku has specific requirements for it's json file, that is supposed to be "industry standard", however, upon researching, I can find no definitive standardfor the syntax used in the json file pertaining to video files.. It's very likely that jw players format is different from rokus.. I would suggest starting with one video file and getting it to ingest into the direct player before trying it with a complete library of files.. Then you'll be able to find out whats what..

Also the direct player has some limitations, 15 categories and 40 videos per category. I ran into that undocumented roadblock immediately and have to create several different channels to get all my content on roku..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos
musictv
Visitor

"mitchstein" wrote:
roku has specific requirements for it's json file, that is supposed to be "industry standard", however, upon researching, I can find no definitive standardfor the syntax used in the json file pertaining to video files.. It's very likely that jw players format is different from rokus.. I would suggest starting with one video file and getting it to ingest into the direct player before trying it with a complete library of files.. Then you'll be able to find out whats what..

Also the direct player has some limitations, 15 categories and 40 videos per category. I ran into that undocumented roadblock immediately and have to create several different channels to get all my content on roku..

Very helpful @mitchstein, I've gone ahead and built the JSON file from scratch, thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

"mitchstein" wrote:

That's not exactly accurate. Direct Publisher has a limit of 25 rows, with 40 content items per row. This comes out to 1,000 unique content items per channel.
It is important to make the distinction between videos and content items, as a series or a season would both only count as one content item. This means that any one channel can include the complete catalogue of episodes for up to 1,000 different unique series, all within the same channel. For all intents and purposes, the number of videos could be nearly infinite, as there are no limits to the number of episodes that can be nested within one series.
Direct Publisher channels change their channel behavior based on the contentType. For a short-form video, the video will simply play upon being selected. However, when selecting a series, the user will be brought to a springboard display that provides links to each season of the series, or allows them to continue watching from the most recent episode that they left off at.
0 Kudos
stubbstarbuck
Binge Watcher

All of this information is in the documentation, which is fairly easy to follow.

https://github.com/rokudev/feed-specifi ... ication.md
0 Kudos