Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pola
Channel Surfer

Feed with single livefeed is not working

I'm converting my Roku channel from SDK channel to Direct publisher channel, because the the old SDK components are being deprecated, and the new SDK requires deep linking code which is not available in the sample provided by Roku.

I tried to contact Roku support but no answer for a whole month...

Would appreciate if someone helps me validating the Json Feed below
Note : the livestream is 24/7

{
    "lastUpdated": "2022-06-11T15:35:49+00:00",
    "providerName": "Pola Edward",
    "language": "en-us",
    "liveFeeds":[
        {
            "id": "261fdcyc-pola-4e4y-9f4c-4f0c18152cyc",
            "title": "Live streaming",
            "content": {
                "dateAdded": "2022-06-11T15:35:49+00:00",
                "language": "en-us",
                "videos": [{
                    "url": "https://5d12bc59c4748.streamlock.net/redirect/cycnow.com/cyc.smil?type=m3u8",
                    "quality": "FHD",
                    "videoType": "HLS"
                }],
                "duration": 999,
                "captions":[]
            },
            "thumbnail": "http://cycnow.com/TVApps/Roku/800x450.png",
            "brandedThumbnail": "http://cycnow.com/TVApps/Roku/800x450.png",
            "shortDescription": "Live streaming of CYC",
            "longDescription": "Live streaming of CYC",
            "tags":["christian", "faith", "live"]
        }
    ]
}

It doesn't give any errors in the dashboard, but when I add the test channel to the Roku device, I find it not working, and it shows as the image below

Waiting and refreshing didn't help...

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Feed with single livefeed is not working

There are several posts on this forum with similar symptoms.  I don't typically broadcast live streams, but, from what I've read, a workaround is to make sure you have a valid "dummy" video available at the URL you specify even when you are not broadcasting live.

If that does not help, you'll need to post a question on the Partner Success Forum.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Pola
Channel Surfer

Could you please elaborate more on adding a dummy video?

The stream is running 24/7, How can I add a dummy video?

0 Kudos
davidpurdy
Reel Rookie

The stream looks like it is indeed running, so I wouldn't imagine it would be that. 

I've found it can take a day or more to refresh, unfortunately. So sometimes the feed will validate, but you won't be able to check whether it actually works on the device. 

That being said, I notice a few things about the feed. Note that I'm far from an expert in this, but I have managed to get a channel with a live stream launched.

There are no categories or playlists. The way I set it up (just following a template) is that I have a playlist pointing to the live feed, and then a category pointing to the playlist. Then the category can be used in the dashboard in the "Categories" section under either "Custom" or "From Feed". 

"playlists": [
        {
            "name": "Live feed",
            "itemIds": [
                "261fdcyc-pola-4e4y-9f4c-4f0c18152cyc"
            ]
        }
    ],
    "categories": [
        {
            "name": "Live feed",
            "playlistName": "Live feed",
            "order": "most_recent"
        }
    ]

Some of these other things I saw are super nitpicky. I just try and fix everything since it's so hard to test and there's so little visibility into what's going on. 

• It's time-consuming to test properly given the uncertain and sometimes long refresh times, but it feels to me like feeds sometimes work better using "Custom" even if just want to use the categories straight from the feed. 
  • I've had success without a "duration" for my live feed. I know it's required for the content object, but it seem incoherent for a live stream and it's worked with it left out. 
  • shortDescription and longDescription are supposed to be different
  • Looks like their recommendation is for "en-US" (with "US" capitalized). No idea if it makes a difference, but without meaningful errors or quick testing, I always fix everything I can. 
  • I don't know if thumbnails need to be HTTPS or not. The spec doesn't say, but some other URLs do, and since they seem to work with HTTPS it can't hurt. 

I hope something in there helps!

Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Before doing anything else, have you made sure your feed file meets the requirements for a LiveFeed?  Are all the required fields present with acceptable values?

As for using a 'dummy video', I believe user @AaronMSpelling has some techniques to accomplish that.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Pola
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them once I get back to my laptop.

The stream is working 24/7.

The funny thing is that I even replaced my feed with Roku's sample as is, and it is still not working showing the same layout.

I always change an image in the branding images  to force version increment, then I check for updates on my roku and verify that the app version has changed.

Anyway no luck so far. 

0 Kudos
Pola
Channel Surfer

Is there any way to get a serious support ?

My tickets are 2 months old with nothing but canned replies...

Even the sample json feed provided in the documentation is not working showing the same blank screen!! 

0 Kudos