Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elivate
Visitor

Re: Feed Issue, no videos showing up (Newbie)

Hi,

I corrected the category tags and added the Tag same name as the category, I saw this one on other feeds, however, still nothing.

I really do not know what is happening.  What really baffles me is that it works before and suddenly, any channel I create get stuck on blank page.

Would anybody reading this forum has a sample similar to what I have? I only need a simple sample of json that looks/similar  like mine so I can compare or copy.

Thank you Baradanikto and to all who is helping.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Have you tried the channel on another Roku device?
Have you made sure the server permissions are correct?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Bigmike333
Streaming Star

STOP TRYING. This is a bug at Roku, and it's been going on for two weeks. You will waste tons of time trying to figure out what you are doing wrong, meanwhile Roku will not tell you about it until you go through partner success. 

I have emailed them a couple of times about a resolution, but no answer has been received. I can't even imagine how many man-hours have been wasted with developers trying to correct this. At least, they could post it up on the direct publisher preview page, letting developers know about their problem. As far as I can tell, you can go ahead and publish the channel, and it will hit the channel store. Then you can make necessary edits. I'm not telling anyone to do this, but I think it works, if you are fairly sure what your end product will look like.

Good luck.

Mike

Here is the reply:

[table][tr][td]Amanda (Roku Partner Success)
May 8, 9:48 AM PDT
Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to Partner Success. After looking into this issue, it appears that it may be due to a bug on our end that is affecting all Unpublished versions of Direct Publisher channels. I have created a bug ticket, escalated the issue, and hope to have the issue fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for reporting the issue and look out for the fix soon. I will let you know if our engineering team has any questions for you or steps for you to take. 

Thank you, 
Amanda
[/size][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Not sure that's accurate. I have an unpublished channel that I use to test my published channel and it works fine. There must be more factors involved than it being simply an unpublished channel. Maybe it has something to do with the date a channel was submitted.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
elivate
Visitor

"Baradanikto" wrote:
Have you tried the channel on another Roku device?
Have you made sure the server permissions are correct?

Hi,
Yes I tried both, we used a separate Roku device and permissions on the server are correct.
I also tend to believe I have the same issue as Bigmike333
I just received an email from Amanda (Roku Support) that the channel videos shows up on their end but not on my devices.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for making these updates. My device is now showing three pieces of content in the channel. Please check your device again to see if you see the same or if you are still only seeing a blank channel. It may be that your device had not yet updated since you made these changes. Let me know if you continue to see a blank channel and we will continue to troubleshoot.

Thank you,
Amanda

If you read my post (#8) that I mentioned I used a working json feed and simply created a new unpublished channel, the same error, blank or message saying something went wrong.  This is totally from a working published Channel and still gives me error.

As Baradanikto also mentioned, there must be something else, I just do not know where/what.

Thank you so much guys, everything you are sharing are very much appreciated, at least points me to a direction... not brick walled 🙂
0 Kudos
Bigmike333
Streaming Star

I have also had a working, unpublished channel for more than a year. When I got this load error on a new channel I was working on, I decided to try the json file in my known, good, unpublished channel. Well, it broke the existing channel, and even if I reload the original json file before the test, I now get the loading error crash. Now, two unpublished Roku channels even using previously verified and working json files, are crippled.  Maybe they will get it fixed this week.

Mike
0 Kudos
elivate
Visitor

Hi Mike,

I just received this email from Roku support (copied and pasted as it is)... it is technically supporting your statement... it is a bug:

Hi Paul,

The new issue you are reporting is due to a bug that is affecting all Unpublished versions of channels. There is a team working to fix this issue. Look for the fix to come out soon and for the error to go away! Pleast note that may take a few more days for this issue to be fixed as they are still assessing the cause.

So it seems we have been trying to fix something that was not even broken in the first place... but it was a nice education for me... everyone did lend a hand and added to my technical know-how.

Thanks to all that contributed.  Sincerely appreciated.
Paul
0 Kudos
luiznick
Visitor

"Baradanikto" wrote:
Not sure that's accurate. I have an unpublished channel that I use to test my published channel and it works fine. There must be more factors involved than it being simply an unpublished channel.  Maybe it has something to do with the date a channel was submitted.

I received this same email 6 days ago, the unpublished channels that I have are working normally, but I can't test any new unpublished channels
Hi Luiz,

Thank you for reaching out to Partner Success. After looking into this issue, it appears that it may be due to a bug on our end that is affecting all Unpublished versions of Direct Publisher channels. I have created a bug ticket and hope to have the issue fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for reporting the issue and look out for the fix soon. I will let you know if our engineering team has any questions for you or steps for you to take.

Thank you, 
Amanda
0 Kudos
mkammes
Roku Guru

I'll add to the choir:

I have the same issue.  Everything on the Roku "Manage Channel" is good, and feed checks out.  Preview function shows the thumbnail and accompanying metadata.

I even swapped out the parameters from a published channel and the same error occurred.

It appears the issue is not something that can be fixed at the user "developer" level, so I'm hopeful Roku will squash the bug.
0 Kudos
Bigmike333
Streaming Star

Well, looks like another two weeks has come and gone with no ability to test unpublished channels. Also, Roku is tinkering with adding things to your published channels you may not appreciate. Such as a huge search icon that allows your viewers to search within your channel, even if you have only one icon the viewer can click on, as most of my channels are set up this way to connect to live streams. Now there's two icons, one of which is useless, and it throws off the balance and look of my background images. By the way, you can't make it go away. Please let them know if this bothers you, as it is best to nip this in the bud before they populate this to all Direct Publisher channels. How about we fix this preview problem first, instead of adding excess junk to developer's channels?
0 Kudos