Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Direct Publisher (DP) to SDK in 5 minutes or less!

Questions this thread will answer:
Can I convert my Roku Direct Publisher channel to SDK by myself?
Do I need a developer to convert my Roku channel to SDK?
How to ensure seamless Roku SDK conversion from Direct Publisher?

Is there a guide for converting Roku channels to SDK format?
What are the best practices for Roku Direct Publisher to SDK conversion?
What’s required to upgrade from Roku Direct Publisher to SDK?

Converting a Roku Direct Publisher channel into a Roku SDK channel can be approached in two ways, either by developing it yourself or by opting for a streamlined done for you ROKU SDK in less than 5 minutes. Below, we’ll guide you through both methods.

Method 1: Develop Your Custom Roku Channel Yourself

Please note that developing a custom Roku SDK channel requires programming skills and ongoing maintenance. If you are not comfortable with coding, go to the next method “Convert your direct publisher ROKU Channel to an SDK in minutes.”

Step 1: Prepare Your Development Environment
Before diving in, make sure you have the necessary tools and resources:

• Roku Developer Account: If you have a Roku Direct Publisher channel, then you have a Roku Developer account.
  • Roku Device: You’ll need a Roku device for testing.
  • Text Editor or IDE: Utilize a text editor like Visual Studio Code or an Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
  • Basic BrightScript Knowledge: Familiarize yourself with BrightScript, Roku’s scripting language for channel development.

Step 2: Create a Roku SDK Application

• Within the developer portal, navigate to “My Channels” and click on “Manage My Channels.”
  • Next to your Roku Direct Publisher channel, click on “Options” and select “Convert to Roku SDK” to change the channel type.
  • Fill out the missing information for your channel.

Step 3: Develop Your Custom Roku Channel

• Kickstart your Roku channel development by coding in BrightScript. This encompasses creating your channel’s user interface, navigation, and functionality.
  • Leverage the Roku SDK documentation and sample code provided by Roku to construct your custom channel. These resources are available on the Roku Developer website.
  • Host your content, such as videos and images, on a web server. Ensure that your content URLs are accessible and adhere to Roku’s content guidelines.

Step 4: Testing Your Channel

To test your custom Roku SDK channel, you’ll need to sideload it onto your Roku device. Here’s how:

• Obtain the IP address of your Roku device, which can be found in the Roku device settings.
  • In your channel’s development environment, use the Roku Remote Debugger to deploy your channel to your Roku device by specifying the device’s IP address.

Thoroughly test your channel on your Roku device to verify that all features and content function as intended.

Step 5: Package and Distribute Your Channel

• Once you are satisfied with your custom Roku channel, it’s time to package it for distribution.
  • Access the Roku Developer portal, navigate to “My Channels,” and select your channel. Options for packaging your channel for different Roku models (e.g., Roku Streaming Stick, Roku TV) will be available.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to generate a package for your channel. This process will result in a .pkg file.
  • Distribute your channel to your intended audience. You can either submit it to the Roku Channel Store for public distribution or employ developer mode for private distribution.

Step 6: Maintain and Update Your Channel

Regularly maintain and update your custom Roku SDK channel to ensure its compatibility with the latest Roku firmware. Roku frequently releases software updates, and it’s essential to remain responsive to user feedback and implement improvements as necessary.

Method 2: Create your own ROKU SDK within minutes!!

Step 1: Go to SDKConverter.com

Step 2: Click on convert your channel

Step 3: Sign up

Step 4: Click Create SDK

Step 5: Fill in details

Step 6: Click Create SDK

Step 7: Upload your SDK to ROKU!

Done!
In under 5 minutes you have converted your Roku Direct Publisher channel to a Roku SDK, ready for future streaming!

And if you want to monetize your channel, for a one-time fee of $199, you can activate vast tags for advertising, custom banners, backgrounds, logos, etc.

This method will enable monthly revenue based on ads tied to your channel!

So, head on over to SDKconverter.com and create your ROKU Channel today!

Roku SDK Converter
Convert my Roku channel to SDK
Convert SDK for Roku
Roku Direct Publisher to SDK