Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewStylePlus
Binge Watcher

Categories using Vimeo Showcases for Feed URL

I need help creating Categories for my Direct Publisher channel. I am using Vimeo Showcases for my Feed URL. Thru my research, I found that there's no way to create Categories that actually work. In other words, I create a category Called "Documentary Films" and I only want Documentary films under this category however, all my videos are showing under this category or any other category for that matter. I understand this can only be accomplished using Code or a third party app. Anyone knows how to do this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Mariely 

11 REPLIES 11
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Categories using Vimeo Showcases for Feed URL

This gets posted about quite often. Probably every 2-3 months. I & others don't use Vimeo showcase so it's tough to troubleshoot, however from what I recall the post threads always seem to end in 'That can't be done!'.

I could be wrong tho, but I think its something where it seems logically it should & is supposed to work, but just doesn't. Again, search this board for 'Vimeo Showcase' and 'Vimeo Categories'

0 Kudos
NewStylePlus
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the feedback. You're absolutely correct so far as we can tell from our research here. It cannot be done. So at this point we are looking for a person who knows how to do it and is willing to do it for a fee or an App that can help us do it. 

0 Kudos
sattun
Roku Guru

Hi @NewStylePlus ,

With Vimeo showcases you can only have one category on you Roku Direct Publisher channel, to have more than one, you need to code your JSON file by hand or use a third-party service like our OTTfeed.com platform.

So if you are looking for a robust solution to manage your content feed, then check out our OTTfeed.com platform, it will save you a lot of time and frustration managing and debugging your feed.

Here are some of the features:

- Supports all types of content (Movie, Series, Episodic, TV specials, Short-form and Live)

- Create categories and playlists and organize by tags or titles
- Preview content before publishing your feed
- Specify ad breaks for each video in addition to global ad breaks
- Build a cast library and add credits to each video
- Connect and import video metadata from Vimoe account with access token
- Supports multi-images, trickplay, closed caption, subtitles and much more
- Content feed is secure and hosted on a CDN

If you are interested go to https://OTTfeed.com and click "Start 7-day free trial”.

Cheers,

OTTfeed: Lease a custom Roku SDK for $99/month go to https://OTTfeed.com/lease
0 Kudos
NewStylePlus
Binge Watcher

Thank you for that info. I am very interested. This might be just what we need. Do you have a contact info or should I just visit the link?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Funny how some things are just overlooked.

It's my understanding that each Vimeo showcase produces an associated JSON feed with one category.  Hence, if you have more than one showcase, you'd need to combine the resulting JSON feed files to form a channel that would consist of more than one showcase (ie. More than one category).

I wrote a free software product that combines multiple JSON feed files into one feed file. Effectively, multiple Vimeo showcases can be combined to build a channel with multiple categories.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
NewStylePlus
Binge Watcher

This sounds very interesting. Where is your App available? 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Please look at the bottom of my posts for my signature.  It contains a link to the free software.

You'll probably be interested in the DP Feed Merge software.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
DTurmanTNT

We recently downloaded your software and it worked like a charm combining the different codes into one. However, we are unable to decipher how to get our newly combined code into Roku. Do you know how to find our feed's URL from the combined code document? or create a feed URL from the code that Roku will accept?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

The result of combining multiple feed files into one is a new composite feed file.  As such, you'll need to upload it to a file server (like Amazon S3) that Roku can access.  You can't find the URL because it will not exist until you upload the composite feed file.

FYI...In the future, please contact me via GitHub.  Support for my software is not provided on this forum.

0 Kudos