Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote turns off TV, but not Roku Ultra

Youre not understanding There is NO Good reason to completely shutting down the Roku.

None.

This is also a solved older string.

Your stove and or Microwave do they have clocks? Do you feel a need to unplug them?

Even your car runs continually after shutting down.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Many Rokus, including mine, have no TV controls.  (And therefore, no power button since Rokus don't turn off.)  You just have to know that the added controls on the enhanced remote are only for the TV.  In theory, it could also send a "home" to the Roku, but that might cause confusion too.  For example, I sometimes pause something, turn off the TV, then come back later and turn the TV on and still hope to have the paused program waiting for me.  So, if they were to do this, sending a home to the Roku should be optional.

Jaw
Channel Surfer

BN, You are still missing the point. So I don't need you to respond. You are not helping. You have made it clear that you don't want to understand what points we are trying to make. So you are not going to be able to help. Which is why my points are directed to Roku. Have a good day. IF you need attention further, perhaps someone else can help you with that. 

Jaw
Channel Surfer

Stega, Firestick4K remote you are able to hit the power button, and the show stops if you're playing it, or stays paused where you left it. Not sure why Roku would over look this simple feature of how everyone knows how a power button is used for and meant for. To stop the show you're playing, NOT to continue to play every single show, then go the next season and play all the seasons while you're sleeping. Firestick seemed to figure it out, perhaps Roku should speak to them. 

b2net
Streaming Star

Maybe the power button could be configurable in settings.  For example, one choice could be to go to home screen when shutting off the TV.  Another choice could be to pause whatever is being watched so that later it can pick up there when the TV is turned back on with the remote.

Jaw
Channel Surfer

Thank you B2net, yes we have figured out the work around of needing to hit the home screen first. But that's not typical end user behavior for TV remotes. Everyone who watches something on their tv and then wants to turn it off, hits the power button and their habits, behavior and expectations all believe it should stop the show you're watching. So now a simple fix that Firestick was able to figure out is silly that Roku can't figure out, but forces us to change our behavior. Another point, I have a firestick on one tv and roku on the other so its now even harder to retrain my habits especially on something not logical or normal for tv remotes. 

Since remotes existed, it always meant hitting the power button means it stops your show. Roku changing that is ANNOYING. 

Strega
Roku Guru

@Jaw wrote:

Stega, Firestick4K remote you are able to hit the power button, and the show stops if you're playing it, or stays paused where you left it.

What about when you're streaming audio and just don't need the TV?

Lots of gadgets have differing features from lots of other gadgets and I've seen lots of debates about these differences on forums.  There are typically points to be made on two or more sides, but in some cases, it probably just comes down to "never thought of that", or "yeah we have a feature request - haven't gotten to it." Sometimes the little things just never get gotten to.

0 Kudos
Jaw
Channel Surfer

Strega, that is exactly what an extra step should be for. Wanting to stream audio and turn your tv off. Makes no since for the extra step plus changing ones behavior for a power button. Anyone wanting to listen to streamed audio but also wants their tv off, would be more than willing to learn the extra step and it wouldn't be hard because we haven't been trained in the last 50 years on remotes that power button means play back stops.

Anyway I think all the points have been made, hopefully Roku will figure out how not to reinvent the wheel for no good reason. Every other play back device you hit the power button the show turns off, including the same type of device, Firestick. So it's not like it's not possible, clearly it's possible. I have no more to add, I came on here to find help. Then found out there isn't help with the issue, just a work around. Which is stupid for a new device. I didn't come on here to debate it or to be told that the way we as a society have been trained to use the power button doesn't matter. I didn't come on here to ask for anyone's opinion. But clearly people need attention and validation in telling a consumer who isn't happy with the product especially when their competition has the feature so it is possible. So if it's possible why need to argue? More importantly if you don't own the company why be so vested? 

Anyway Im guessing there are lonely wannabe geeks on here or something. But I'm out. Unsubscribed.

Strega
Roku Guru

Hey I'm not the one who bumped a months old thread to the top - I just read it because it was up there.  Smiley Happy

In any case, to each his own.  I'm not against options at all, but I do NOT want extra steps added to what I'm already doing.  (Unless, as I said, it's an option.)

My AVR has a power switch and some other controls for the TV.  It does clearly delineate that those are for the TV by giving them their own section with a nice clear outline around them. Thus it is really obvious that when you press the power in that section, you only power down the TV.  The Roku remote could benefit from something like that around its TV controls.  But I know, they like that minimalistic design. If it causes confusion, and you don't use a streaming stick, you could downgrade to their most basic remote which doesn't have a power button.  Or you could go the other way and get a universal remote - some of them let you program one button to do a whole sequence of things across multiple devices.  Just some options.  I like options.

Jaw
Channel Surfer

Keithadams, not sure if this will work with the Roku Ultra, but I was able to actually find someone helpful who actually knew what they were talking about, and understood our points, they directed me to this page on Roku.

I unplugged my Roku Streaming Stick+ from wall with adapter and plugged into the USB port on TV . I then played a show, then hit the power button on the remote, and it did turn off the TV and the Roku AND STOPPED THE SHOW  from going into continuous play to the next episode. 

When I hit the power button again to turn it on, it took Roku around a measly 15 seconds to power up to home screen. 

NO retraining habits, no extra steps, no work arounds. 

I'm unsubscribed from this thread, but I hope this works for you. Good luck. It's made me very happy 🙂

https://support.roku.com/article/231541927