I have a request for the next software update release. I am currently running a Roku Ultra, Roku Express 4K+ and a Roku Express +..... I have noticed several issues that I hope can be fixed with a new software up date:
1) Version 10 cause a large black horizontal lower third background banner to appear with a timeline superimposed over it whenever the "PAUSE" button is engaged.. I use Closed Captions due to poor hearing ... so the problem is that with Version 10 this black banner covers the closed caption when I push the pause and I can't read the captions until the banner disappears about 10 seconds later. Why is this banner so big (about lower 30% of the screen, so dark and remains for 10 seconds on most channels? (5 seconds on some channel)..... there doesn't seem to be any reason for this. Please fix the software to make the banner smaller, more translucent and only stay up for 2-3 seconds....or check out what the Amazon 4k stick does by raising the Closed Caption to the middle of the screen when the pause is engaged.
2) The battery life is extremely poor on my new (10 days old) Express 4K + Batteries down to 15% already... need to change.
3) I purchased the new Amazon 4K Fire TV stick a week ago at the same price as the Roku Express 4K +,,, why is it capable of controlling 3rd party soundbars (as well as TVs) but the Roku cannot.... hopefully you can correct this deficiency in an update?
Re: Closed caption issues with Version 10 software
1) Global Closed Captioning appearance settings can be adjusted under Settings/Accessibility/Captions style. However, some apps use local app-only CC settings - these have to be adjusted in-app or at the service's web site (or both sometimes).
2) Longstanding known issue with Roku remotes.
3) There are advanced remote configuration settings that will allow AVR detection/control for the remote's power/volume buttons: Home 5x, FF, PP, RW, PP, FF then RF Remote Menu/IR Transmit menu/.Enable Querying AVRs (instead of TVs).
1) Version 10 cause a large black horizontal lower third background banner to appear with a timeline superimposed over it whenever the "PAUSE" button is engaged.. I use Closed Captions due to poor hearing ... so the problem is that with Version 10 this black banner covers the closed caption when I push the pause and I can't read the captions until the banner disappears about 10 seconds later.
I see this same thing but the only place I've encountered it is on The Roku Channel. I use a lot of closed captioning too and I also find this big black block at the bottom of the screen to be an irritation, an eyesore, and a completely unnecessary waste of space.
@RokuDanny-R please pass this complaint on to the coders for The Roku Channel.
Roku Community Streaming Expert I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well. If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".
Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X