Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: what is the exact syntax for BIFTool..

@Enterr I can do that, sure. The strange thing is, the same appears on the sdkdocs url. That isn't saying much though, as I have seen errors in those documents before too. Where far too little information was given to make full use of the feature it was documenting. In this case, since FHD is in "something new" stage I am hoping both these docs can be updated, and the answer given, at the same time. Killing three birds with one stone.

...unless...the missing information is a ploy to get users to register on these forums to post issues? I doubt that is the case here though. 🙂
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: what is the exact syntax for BIFTool..

"speechles" wrote:
The strange thing is, the same appears on the sdkdocs url. That isn't saying much though, as I have seen errors in those documents before too. Where far too little information was given to make full use of the feature it was documenting. In this case, since FHD is in "something new" stage I am hoping both these docs can be updated, and the answer given, at the same time. Killing three birds with one stone.

That's because the GitHub page is a partial copy&paste from the wiki documentation. I have no idea why this github re-write was started this past summer but it seems the effort has been largely abandoned since mid-October.

The Roku SDK docs history goes like this - at first they were releasing it as PDF sets, then moved to Confluence wiki (a much welcome move because of instant updates) and this year... i don't know what happened, since i haven't heard anybody calling for the docs to be moved to GitHub - and i fail to see advantage in the attempted move. I can only hypothesize (i.e. speculation) that this ought to be legacy from the now-former chief evangelist of the Co. Bless his legacy, for he did some great things - the main one being reviving in 2016 the Roku's dev.program from a slumber it fell in 2012 (when the previous principal moved on) - like a regular Rip van Winkle. But he also had some strange ideas, like Roku's salvation being in "hackathons" - or one imagines, "let's move the docs to github because... that's where we had them in the previous company"?! IDK, i am stumped at the attempted move, which would be a titanic undertaking if ever to be finished.

So what we have now is 2 locations - one at http://sdkdocs.roku.com that everyone knows and uses - and another partial copy on GH. 
Confusing? I know i am. 
Hard to maintain both? You bet Jurassic!

...unless ...the missing information is a ploy to get users to register on these forums to post issues? I doubt that is the case here though. 🙂

That's the spirit! Every cloud has a silver lining.  :mrgreen:
I have contemplated in the past if Roku's dev.program is some kind of a secret trial, a "maze runner" intelligently designed to ensure survival of the fittest. Eventually i realized i have been flying against the Hanlon's razor  😎
0 Kudos