Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrrgb
Visitor

Re: v2.8 HLS Aspect ratio problems

Just adding one more data point. I have several hundred mpeg encoded videos that played fine under 2.7 and now display squished under 2.8. I tested this as soon as I received my Roku, and would have returned it if was incompatible. Now it's too late...
0 Kudos
mooreke
Visitor

Here is a picture off my TV. Notice left and right sides are now squished in after taking the latest BIOS update. I had no issues before the update using USB Media Browser.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1rL5UH8CE-bGPpFgF1D62_xRcb5UeWwcf-dcmvHaKA8k
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

I think we have a fix for the remaining squished video issues.

Please send me a private msg that includes your SN if you'd like to install some beta software that includes the fix.

It would be good to report your results with this v2.9 beta software on this thread.

Thanks,

--Kevin
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

I tested the two videos that I posted with the new v2.9 beta on MyMedia. The mpeg-4 video is no longer squished. I couldn't get renojim's videos to play for some reason, even though they play fine on my laptop. They would only load about 95% of the way and get stuck.

I didn't see any other problems, but I think someone with more mpeg-4 videos than me should test it out.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"canaws" wrote:
I tested the two videos that I posted with the new v2.9 beta on MyMedia. The mpeg-4 video is no longer squished. I couldn't get renojim's videos to play for some reason, even though they play fine on my laptop. They would only load about 95% of the way and get stuck.

I didn't see any other problems, but I think someone with more mpeg-4 videos than me should test it out.

Unfortunately, I've run across a few more videos exhibiting the issue, and have PM'd links to RokuKevin.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"canaws" wrote:
I couldn't get renojim's videos to play for some reason, even though they play fine on my laptop. They would only load about 95% of the way and get stuck.

Both of them worked for me. I did have a case where a video appeared to load completely and then stalled, but when I tried it again it worked.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kfrodgers
Visitor

Tested v2.9 using chaneru and several h.264 encoded videos. Everything displayed correctly.
0 Kudos
JC77
Visitor

"kfrodgers" wrote:
Tested v2.9 using chaneru and several h.264 encoded videos. Everything displayed correctly.

Same here. Both h.264 and MPEG encoded videos seem to be working fine now.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Thanks for everyone's help testing this issue. Please continue to monitor and report, but so far everything looks good.

The 'endless' issue was a false positive as the encoding resolution was 960x720, and looked like it was encoded from 16:9 original video so it did appear "squished" though it wasn't a playback issue.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuKevin" wrote:
Thanks for everyone's help testing this issue. Please continue to monitor and report, but so far everything looks good.

The 'endless' issue was a false positive as the encoding resolution was 960x720, and looked like it was encoded from 16:9 original video so it did appear "squished" though it wasn't a playback issue.

--Kevin

With all due respect, I wouldn't call it a "false positive", when they play at the correct aspect ratio in other players. I didn't send you the links based on their appearance on the Roku alone. I sent them based on a comparison to a number of other players where they rendered correctly. I tested all three videos in Windows Media Player, VLC, and on the Apple TV, and they rendered at 16x9 on all but the Roku. While in the strictest sense the Roku may be correctly rendering it at the reported resolution, which may indicate a "false positive" for this particular bug, I think there must be an "anamorphic" flag somewhere in the headers that isn't being respected by the Roku.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos