Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

strtoi() = invalid?

i tried using StrToI and noticed it does not behave as advertised:
StrToI(str as String) as Dynamic
Return the integer value of the string, or invalid if str is not a string.

I can see the intent was to return invalid if the string does not parse well, since the return type is Dynamic and not Integer. But nowadays it returns 0 instead, doc and behavior are out-of-sync.

Also, when speaking of conversion string -> int, what are the differences between strtoi(str), string.toint() and val(str, 10)? 
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: strtoi() = invalid?

"EnTerr" wrote:
Also, when speaking of conversion string -> int, what are the differences between strtoi(str), string.toint() and val(str, 10)? 

I second this question 😄
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:
i tried using StrToI and noticed it does not behave as advertised:

The documentation is incorrect. Thanks for pointing it out.

The functions you mention are all essentially equivalent.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Thank you... a follow-up question: how am i supposed to determine if a string is actually a proper number?
Having the `invalid` flag would have covered it. Lacking that, such check seems to shard into a fractal of special cases ("so, i got 0 back? maybe it was a real 0 - or maybe it wasn't; maybe it has whitespaces, plus/minus in front - or maybe it starts with digit but ends with letters...")
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
how am i supposed to determine if a string is actually a proper number?

Define what you mean by a 'proper number' and use a regular expression to check for that:

function isProperNumber(s as dynamic) as boolean
   isProper = false
   if GetInterface(s, "ifString") <> invalid
       re = CreateObject("roRegex", "^\s*[+-]?\d+$", "")
       if re.IsMatch(s)
           isProper = true
       end if
   end if
   return isProper
end function
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
how am i supposed to determine if a string is actually a proper number?

Define what you mean by a 'proper number' and use a regular expression to check for that

Exactly my point! I don't want to define myself what a proper number format is - i want to delegate that to Roku's implementation. Would not like to play catch-up with parser changes, that's an error-prone chase game - it's not like the Co will spec out what a "number" is to them. Fancy a guess what the below outcome is?
Brightscript Debugger> ? val("0x123456")
0 Kudos