Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
learner
Channel Surfer

some starter questions

Hi,
Is there any IDE for Windows 7?
How do i make or run make install in windows ( i think linux has it builtin)?
I want to put an existing stream which i have put on my site..
http://www.indiaham.com/jeevan.htm
http://www.indiaham.com/starnews.htm

These are streams pointing to flash streams .. What i understood was if it is mp4 stream embedded in Flash then we can show it in roku right???
I dont know what type of stream it is nor how to get the stream converted to some supported codec.
These are live streams .. SO just wondering what to do
The examples are helpful. DOes any one know what IDE Roku team uses to develop this?

Learner
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: some starter questions

"learner" wrote:
Hi,
Is there any IDE for Windows 7?
How do i make or run make install in windows ( i think linux has it builtin)?
I want to put an existing stream which i have put on my site..
http://www.indiaham.com/jeevan.htm
http://www.indiaham.com/starnews.htm

These are streams pointing to flash streams .. What i understood was if it is mp4 stream embedded in Flash then we can show it in roku right???
I dont know what type of stream it is nor how to get the stream converted to some supported codec.
These are live streams .. SO just wondering what to do
The examples are helpful. DOes any one know what IDE Roku team uses to develop this?

Learner

If you are looking to play a live stream, you need a link pointing to the location of an .m3u8 playlist file on the web server. Since the link you have are playing a flash stream it's not going to work on Roku. If a stream (that is not yours) is not in the correct format, there is no way on the server-side that you can get it converted to a correct format. The content owner would have to provide that. There are though a number of vlc and other transcode options available as 3rd party solutions that would allow you to stream it to your pc, it transcodes, and then sends to your Roku. Folks have varying success with that because it relies on computer power to do the transcoding. It might be simpler and more effective to contact the content owner and let them know there is interest in a possible Roku channel. The quality of that doesn't look very good anyway, and perhaps if the owner brought it in an official fashion they could or would provide a better quality stream.
0 Kudos
learner
Channel Surfer

thanks stratcat,
Is there any ide or any editor for the coding in windows?
how do i get the make or make install -> not sure if this is required for dev.

Other than m3u is there any other streams which can be published?
what exactly should the source be?
Any test site to upload my video to test.. Amazon needs credit card.... Not so happy abt it...
One more Question >? Do we have any control codes to know the Bitrate and resolution of channel displayed and the Bandwidth required ?

Learner
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

how do i get the make or make install -> not sure if this is required for dev.

The Brightscript pdf guides in the SDK will explain setting up a makefile, but you do not *need* to use one to sideload your channel for testing. Once in Dev mode, you can access your Roku box via web browser and load it that way.

Is there any ide or any editor for the coding in windows?

Brightscript is a proprietary language sharing similarities to a few different languages, that being said though there isn't a "MS Frontpage" or anything like that specifically for Brightscript. There are a number of editors out there that people use to code for Brightscript. I use Notepad ++, as others do too. There is Eclipse as well off the top of my head, but you can use just about any text editor. The two afore mentioned have plug ins available to highlight and/or format Brightscript code.

Other than m3u is there any other streams which can be published?
what exactly should the source be?

I would really urge you to download the SDK and look at the accompanying documentation on the language and capabilities/requirements/limitations of the box. That will answer many of the questions you have. The m3u8 playlist is one that can be used, but you can point the Roku even to an mp4 file..

Any test site to upload my video to test.. Amazon needs credit card.... Not so happy abt it...

If *you* have a video in a format you want to test with, any web domain that you have access to, or even filesharing sites will let you host it. The caveat though is you need the file path to the file, not just the url link to the page. You can also point the Roku at it locally to play w/o having to upload it somewhere. This is useful just to actually test the vid and coding before you go to the trouble of putting it up somewhere.

One more Question >? Do we have any control codes to know the Bitrate and resolution of channel displayed and the Bandwidth required ?

I'm not sure what you're asking but if you are talking an existing channel, you can see the bitrate the box is playing by activating the dev debug screen on the box. If you're talking your own channel, that all depends on the bitrates of the streams you use
0 Kudos
learner
Channel Surfer

what i wanted to know is if i am watching a channel i want to know what resoulution it is and if possible the url to the streams and type of codec they used ..
This should be given in the debugger but i dont see any option other than for the packages which i created.
Is there any screen which gives details about the stream which i am viewing.?
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

The reason the debugger only lets you debug your own side-loaded channel is because other channels are not *yours*. That would give you access to someone else's (or company's)intellectual property, etc. (their code, streams, etc.) that's no one else's business but the owner's. The only info you can get from the box about a stream is from putting *it* in debug mode and it will tell you the bandwidth of the stream you are getting, but not resolution, etc.
0 Kudos
learner
Channel Surfer

thanks for that...
Any idea if this type of of mp3 is supported or any way to support it since the eg doesnt work???
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
AAC extension: SBR

Any thing i need to change?
its a shoutcast stream.
0 Kudos