Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidaburdick
Reel Rookie

roku channel development tools supplied by INSTANT TV CHANNEL

Jump to solution

2 things i have trouble with............

1. is there a way to get rid of the overlay graphic on my splash page at the bottom that says the following
or am i stuck with it.........
roku channel development tools supplied by INSTANT TV CHANNEL

2. i have tried for like 5 days to make a slideshow thing........using every possible host - google,dropbox,flikr,you name it...even on my own router............still nothing ever shows up............is it impossible ????

also i do not use code..............i use the sdk package deal................so don't get too technical

i am new to this..........thanks.........i can live with both these things but it would be nice to solve these if possible..................

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cocotower
Roku Guru

Re: roku channel development tools supplied by INSTANT TV CHANNEL

Jump to solution

You might can use OBS Studio to make a video stream out of a bunch of photos, then possibly through restream.io, then reference that stream from your channel feed?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You should post your questions to @OddScott at InstantTV.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

David,

The overlay on the splash page is removed when you upgrade to a "Commercial" channel type and generate a new Pkg file. The overlay is only present on the "Free" channel type or the $4.95/month "Unlimited" channel type.

As described in the documentation (http://www.instanttvchannel.com/roku/slideshow) you need to have your slideshow images on a webserver or S3 bucket that responds correctly to an index request... so that a URL pointing to the directory or folder containing your images returns a list of images. Otherwise the channel has no way to know what your individual slideshow image URLs are.

Scott

www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
davidaburdick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks for the answers.................do you know of any free places to host pictures that would work for a slide show.........i have tried about 6 now with no luck................thanks..........

0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Sorry, I don't know of any free image hosting services that will provide you with an index page. Amazon may have a free tier available for S3 storage transfers, but I can't find the free-tier transfer pricing listed on their website any more.

You might want to consider using a basic (under $5/month) shared-hosting webserver for your slideshow images if your Roku channel will only be lightly used. Many of them will support indexing of image directories, but you should check that before purchasing.

Amazon's Lightsail service (https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/) looks interesting if you feel comfortable configuring your own webserver. It has a free trial and starts at $3.50/month, but I've never tried it myself.

www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
davidaburdick
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ok i got the amazon aws s3 bucket set up............and i added a folder into it with photos...................also my page tested the config as working fine..................but what url do i put into the slideshow picture url................i tried the arn and the s3 url.................i still can't get anything to show.................where do i get the url to use ???

and what should the url look like   the 2 i tried one started with s3 other started with arn.................do have to do something else.................

0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I think you might be confusing the AWS S3 bucket used to hold your channel's configuration data (it has the test button to verify it is working correctly) with an AWS S3 bucket used to hold your channel's images (it does not have a test button). These buckets should always be separate so that you do not accidentally modify any of your automatically-generated configuration files.

The AWS ARN is not used in the S3 URLs for your channel. The URL format is "s3://bucket-name/". You also need to provide the bucket's read-only Access Key Id and Secret Access Key on the Instant TV Channel "Keys & CDNs" page in the "AWS S3 Secure Content Storage" section.

I can help further if you would email me at help (at) InstantTvChannel.com and provide your Instant TV Channel login email address.

0 Kudos
cocotower
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You might can use OBS Studio to make a video stream out of a bunch of photos, then possibly through restream.io, then reference that stream from your channel feed?

0 Kudos