Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vjani
Visitor

roVideoplayer.stop() freezes roku

Hi all,

I am using roVideoplayer to play HLS videos along with roImageCanvas for displaying progress bar/other info for a video and for the most part, it works fine. However, if the video url is invalid or doesn't point to a video, I catch the error via msg.isRequestFailed() where I exit the event loop for the videoplayer and call videoplayer.Stop(), and also clear the canvas.

This just freezes the entire Roku most of the times and I don't see any logs after the videoplayer.Stop() statement, so it looks like brightscript just never returns from the stop() function. Then the only way to get back up is plug off/plug on the device.

Is this a known issue? This is on a Roku 3 with firmware 6.2, build 3467. Please advise.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
vjani
Visitor

Re: roVideoplayer.stop() freezes roku

To put more context, the app has a roGridScreen, whose every cell can launch the videoplayer. Note that roVidoeplayer.stop() works just fine when a video ends or I press a back button to exit the event loop. I exit the video in that case and come back to the grid screen from where I can launch a new video. Only, when there is an error playing a video, I get this issue.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: roVideoplayer.stop() freezes roku

Maybe you shouldn't call .stop() on a roVidoeplayer which is not playing?
Not sure this is one of them but there are certain places where if a program sneezes, Roku player poops itself. The work-around is not to sneeze in such places. Smiley LOL

Just to be sure, put a debug print right before and right after the stop() and check the console - is that where it really hangs? Then let us know here, so they'll troubleshoot it eventually
0 Kudos