Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: roTextureManager skipping some images

I have noticed differences with the 2xd box that I have. My framework as I stated in other posts is designed to offload as much as possible to tmp. right now I use the texture manager for grids only. My grid components know how to manage their own cache using the manager. So I always have a fixed number of images in memory at one time. Generally I have on average 10MB total in memory. I seldom go outside this and can still manage as many bitmaps as a particular grid may need
Tested on all current models enough to know that the memory is managed very well so far. Design has a lot to do with it. Sometimes you have no choice but to filter down. I don't have the extensive experience as yourself so I have not encountered as many problems. But producing what I did was by no means an easy task. But well worth it.
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"NewManLiving" wrote:
I have noticed differences with the 2xd box that I have. My framework as I stated in other posts is designed to offload as much as possible to tmp. right now I use the texture manager for grids only. My grid components know how to manage their own cache using the manager. So I always have a fixed number of images in memory at one time. Generally I have on average 10MB total in memory. I seldom go outside this and can still manage as many bitmaps as a particular grid may need
Tested on all current models enough to know that the memory is managed very well so far. Design has a lot to do with it. Sometimes you have no choice but to filter down. I don't have the extensive experience as yourself so I have not encountered as many problems. But producing what I did was by no means an easy task. But well worth it.

That's exactly my point. Your code is managing the memory by explicitly calling roTextureManager.UnloadBitmap() and roTextureManager.Cleanup() when appropriate, which is the correct way to do it given the current roTextureManager implementation. If you're relying solely on the "Manager" part of the roTextureManager to manage the loading and unloading of bitmaps, that's when you run into issues if you're keeping references open or creating bitmaps directly. That's also when you're more likely to run into bitmap load failures.

Ideally, the roTextureManager would be able to check memory usage in real time, instead of assuming the memory it's allotted for itself is always available, so you wouldn't need to maintain your own caching routines.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Exactly, which was my point earlier on the difference between the two components which it is easy to assume that there is not much difference. The whole point for me is the ability to cancel, unload and cleanup , relying on the Lru and finding ways to "reboot" the Lru when it gets shot as in the case of videos. That is the tricky part. It would be nice if more information was available on fine-tuning the manager. It is a great component, but has a mind of its own
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos