Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wpinkman
Visitor

Re: roPosterScreen / roSlideshow can't load Instagram images

ifHttpAgent seams to have a (new?) call: SetCertificatesDepth(depth as Integer)

Not sure what it does or what a good value would be.
--andy (channel: Rokagram)
0 Kudos
wpinkman
Visitor

Thanks Veeta. Adding the the puzzle is the fact that roPosterScreen does work for some HTTPS images. In my case some of the Instagram photos are hosted on a Akami CDN and those work fine (generally the user profile pics). It looks like the main photo content moved to a different CDN technology and they are the ones having the problem. Maybe a more complicated SSL handshake on one CDN vs. the other?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

It looks like an HTTPS request using roPosterScreen, roSlideshow, etc. is only negotiated by the Roku to use TLS 1.0, whereas an HTTP request using roUrlTransfer negotiates the use of TLS 1.2. Due to security vulnerabilities discovered in older TLS versions, it's possible that some servers are refusing to allow connections that use the older versions, which might explain why one CDN (Akamai) works and the other one (Instagram) does not.

It would be helpful if someone from Roku could look into this and verify whether roPosterScreen, etc. erroneously only supports TLS 1.0.
0 Kudos
wpinkman
Visitor

Yes.. thanks. I patched up my channel with a hack to convert the URL's from HTTPS to HTTP, but who knows how long that will work.

Add roImageCanvas to the list of components that has the same bug.
0 Kudos
crawfishmedia
Channel Surfer

Hi guys, I am also linking to my Instagram photos and recently found they wouldn't display in the slideshow anymore.
Great to see others are working through this issue. This is a nasty bug, crippling even.
Thanks for your valuable inputs 🙂
AC
0 Kudos
RokuIsrar
Visitor

This is an issue with Facebook proxygen web server. It doesn't process an HTTP request field correctly. This issue has been reported here https://github.com/facebook/proxygen/issues/47
0 Kudos