Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcoding
Visitor

roListScreen/roParagraphScreen Background

Hi,
I have been reading the documentation and have been playing with some examples too but could not find a way to set the background of ListScreen or ParagraphScreen to an image. Or if it is not possbile have the color as transparent. Can anyone of you please help?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: roListScreen/roParagraphScreen Background

For roListScreen, you want SDBackgroundImageUrl, HDBackgroundImageUrl http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... +Meta-Data

roParagraphScreen doesn't support anything but a solid color for a background.
0 Kudos
bcoding
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
For roListScreen, you want SDBackgroundImageUrl, HDBackgroundImageUrl http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... +Meta-Data

roParagraphScreen doesn't support anything but a solid color for a background.

Thank your for the reply. But I believe SDBackgroundImageUrl/HDBackgroundImageUrl will give me an image on the right side of screen associated with the focused item.
What I need is a full background image regardless of the focused item.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

SDBackgroundImageUrl/HDBackgroundImageUrl are associated with the items, but they are displayed in the background starting in the upper-right corner, just below the overhang, so if you supply a full 1280x720 image, it'll appear as the background of the screen. Note that this can slow navigation a bit as the screen updates the image while you scroll through the list.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bcoding
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
SDBackgroundImageUrl/HDBackgroundImageUrl are associated with the items, but they are displayed in the background starting in the upper-right corner, just below the overhang, so if you supply a full 1280x720 image, it'll appear as the background of the screen. Note that this can slow navigation a bit as the screen updates the image while you scroll through the list.

Thank you for the info. The image worked but I couldnt get the results I wanted. I wanted a list of scrollable text with an checkmark at the left side. But with list screen, I could not get the small icon on the left. Also, the title wont diplay the full text, it will only diplay partial text followed by "......".
I believe I can create my own custom scrollable text area through roregions and bitmaps. Can you please confirm.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

The screens you are using do not expose a drawable interface. So even if you created bitmaps you would not be able to display them yourself. There is no drawobject or drawtext like the 2D. Perhaps you should look at the imagecanvas or Scene Graph as was suggested
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
bcoding
Visitor

"NewManLiving" wrote:
The screens you are using do not expose a drawable interface. So even if you created bitmaps you would not be able to display them yourself. There is no drawobject or drawtext like the 2D. Perhaps you should look at the imagecanvas or Scene Graph as was suggested

Thank you for the information. If I go with the Scene Graph route, I believe it is still in beta phase and will not be compatible for older devices. Isn't it?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"bcoding" wrote:
Thank you for the information. If I go with the Scene Graph route, I believe it is still in beta phase and will not be compatible for older devices. Isn't it?

It will be available on all "current" Roku players, which includes devices all the way back to 2011, once the 7.0 firmware rolls out to all players. The only players excluded are the obsolete "classic" models, which Roku dropped support for a few months ago.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bcoding
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"bcoding" wrote:

It will be available on all "current" Roku players, which includes devices all the way back to 2011, once the 7.0 firmware rolls out to all players. The only players excluded are the obsolete "classic" models, which Roku dropped support for a few months ago.

Thanks. By the way are there any other resources/examples that I can look to for Scene Graph other than the documentation.
0 Kudos