Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Level 8

roListScreen: can i change height/number of items?

roListScreen seems to fit exactly 6.5 lines (list items) on screen (both in HD and SD i believe).
Is there a way to fit more items on screen (change spacing between lines, decrease line height etc) ?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TheEndless
Level 7

Re: roListScreen: can i change height/number of items?

If you specify a custom button image, it will adjust the width and height of the list items to the specified image.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

"TheEndless" wrote:
If you specify a custom button image, it will adjust the width and height of the list items to the specified image.

Thanks - i saw earlier your reply here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67034&p=428661#p428665 but the discussion was about width only. I assumed same does not apply to height as more complicated to implement (change of fonts, number of lines).

So if i provide custom ListItemHighlightXX stationary, screen may fit more lines?
And what about the space between items, by default there seems to be air gap between items, sized ~1/3 of highlight-box height - that's the big offender - will it shrink? (or am i getting confused and the default image has 1/4 of the image height transparent/gap)

PS. Alas, does not seem useful: it got them closer but there are still only (and exactly) 6.5 items shown - now bunched on top, with the lower part of the screen empty :cry:

On the side: are roAppManager.setThemeAttribute() URLs limited to "pkg:/" only? I tried couple of "http://" images first and they got ignored wholesale.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

So umm, no way to fit more (or less) than 6.5 items on roListScreen?
Roku* - clarification requested, please.

Also, are roAppManager.setThemeAttribute() URIs limited to local files only, no "http:"?
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:
So umm, no way to fit more (or less) than 6.5 items on roListScreen?
Roku* - clarification requested, please.

Looks like you already sorted that one out for yourself, assuming you described your testing process accurately, I would say the answer is that that is that 6.5 is the maximum number of items.

"EnTerr" wrote:
Also, are roAppManager.setThemeAttribute() URIs limited to local files only, no "http:"?

Officially limited to pkg:/ and tmp:/ paths, but you might experiment and see if the Overhang Slice in the theme is amenable to using an http url.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Level 8

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Looks like you already sorted that one out for yourself, assuming you described your testing process accurately, I would say the answer is that that is that 6.5 is the maximum number of items.l

If my testing was enough, i wouldn't be asking - there might be a magic undocumented parameter, call, theme attribute etc that i am not aware of.

Can i request something to be done about this, then? In short,
"Need roListScreen to be able to fit more than 6 items on screen."

Not sure how, i.e. don't care what kind of call/tuneup, be able to decrease dead space between items, extend beyond "title safe zone", lose overhang etc. After all, Roku's Home screen, Settings, Search and some channels already do that - show TWICE as many list entries, so doing it is not question of bad UI design. Or maybe give us access to the components they use, that's fine too. I like to use "stock" components instead of reinventing the wheel and have the need to show >6 items at a time.
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Level 7

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:
Looks like you already sorted that one out for yourself, assuming you described your testing process accurately, I would say the answer is that that is that 6.5 is the maximum number of items.l

If my testing was enough, i wouldn't be asking - there might be a magic undocumented parameter, call, theme attribute etc that i am not aware of.

Can i request something to be done about this, then? In short,
"Need roListScreen to be able to fit more than 6 items on screen."

Not sure how, i.e. don't care what kind of call/tuneup, be able to decrease dead space between items, extend beyond "title safe zone", lose overhang etc. After all, Roku's Home screen, Settings, Search and some channels already do that - show TWICE as many list entries, so doing it is not question of bad UI design. Or maybe give us access to the components they use, that's fine too. I like to use "stock" components instead of reinventing the wheel and have the need to show >6 items at a time.

i would also like this to show maybe 10? maximum 14? But be able to specify when i call the rolistscreen
.setNumberOfItems(10)

also while you are at it, i know theres a hack to do this, but a 20-25% bigger poster would be great.
0 Kudos