Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

roListScreen: can i change height/number of items?

roListScreen seems to fit exactly 6.5 lines (list items) on screen (both in HD and SD i believe).
Is there a way to fit more items on screen (change spacing between lines, decrease line height etc) ?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: roListScreen: can i change height/number of items?

If you specify a custom button image, it will adjust the width and height of the list items to the specified image.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
If you specify a custom button image, it will adjust the width and height of the list items to the specified image.

Thanks - i saw earlier your reply here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67034&p=428661#p428665 but the discussion was about width only. I assumed same does not apply to height as more complicated to implement (change of fonts, number of lines).

So if i provide custom ListItemHighlightXX stationary, screen may fit more lines?
And what about the space between items, by default there seems to be air gap between items, sized ~1/3 of highlight-box height - that's the big offender - will it shrink? (or am i getting confused and the default image has 1/4 of the image height transparent/gap)

PS. Alas, does not seem useful: it got them closer but there are still only (and exactly) 6.5 items shown - now bunched on top, with the lower part of the screen empty :cry:

On the side: are roAppManager.setThemeAttribute() URLs limited to "pkg:/" only? I tried couple of "http://" images first and they got ignored wholesale.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

So umm, no way to fit more (or less) than 6.5 items on roListScreen?
Roku* - clarification requested, please.

Also, are roAppManager.setThemeAttribute() URIs limited to local files only, no "http:"?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"EnTerr" wrote:
So umm, no way to fit more (or less) than 6.5 items on roListScreen?
Roku* - clarification requested, please.

Looks like you already sorted that one out for yourself, assuming you described your testing process accurately, I would say the answer is that that is that 6.5 is the maximum number of items.

"EnTerr" wrote:
Also, are roAppManager.setThemeAttribute() URIs limited to local files only, no "http:"?

Officially limited to pkg:/ and tmp:/ paths, but you might experiment and see if the Overhang Slice in the theme is amenable to using an http url.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Looks like you already sorted that one out for yourself, assuming you described your testing process accurately, I would say the answer is that that is that 6.5 is the maximum number of items.l

If my testing was enough, i wouldn't be asking - there might be a magic undocumented parameter, call, theme attribute etc that i am not aware of.

Can i request something to be done about this, then? In short,
"Need roListScreen to be able to fit more than 6 items on screen."

Not sure how, i.e. don't care what kind of call/tuneup, be able to decrease dead space between items, extend beyond "title safe zone", lose overhang etc. After all, Roku's Home screen, Settings, Search and some channels already do that - show TWICE as many list entries, so doing it is not question of bad UI design. Or maybe give us access to the components they use, that's fine too. I like to use "stock" components instead of reinventing the wheel and have the need to show >6 items at a time.
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:
Looks like you already sorted that one out for yourself, assuming you described your testing process accurately, I would say the answer is that that is that 6.5 is the maximum number of items.l

If my testing was enough, i wouldn't be asking - there might be a magic undocumented parameter, call, theme attribute etc that i am not aware of.

Can i request something to be done about this, then? In short,
"Need roListScreen to be able to fit more than 6 items on screen."

Not sure how, i.e. don't care what kind of call/tuneup, be able to decrease dead space between items, extend beyond "title safe zone", lose overhang etc. After all, Roku's Home screen, Settings, Search and some channels already do that - show TWICE as many list entries, so doing it is not question of bad UI design. Or maybe give us access to the components they use, that's fine too. I like to use "stock" components instead of reinventing the wheel and have the need to show >6 items at a time.

i would also like this to show maybe 10? maximum 14? But be able to specify when i call the rolistscreen
.setNumberOfItems(10)

also while you are at it, i know theres a hack to do this, but a 20-25% bigger poster would be great.
0 Kudos