Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZandzOfTime
Visitor

roGridScreen and video problem

Hello,

I read threads on issue with non-stackability of roGridScreen and video, so I close the grid screen and then play the video, but when I exit the video screen, the roku exits the app.

How do I avoid this? I have simple while loop that calls grid screen function, and the grid screen exits when a video is selected, I then hand the video informations to a video player function, which play the select video. But when video is exit the app exit too, even though the loop immediately call the grid screen again.

while true
action=gridscreen("flat-16x9") 'list videos (working)
displayvideo(action) ' play video (working!)
end while

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you,

Zanzof
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: roGridScreen and video problem

Your channel will automatically close when the last screen closes. It sounds like you're not opening the new grid screen before the last screen closes, so it's exiting. Adding a facade screen to your channel should prevent this. See this post for more details on how to do that: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26350&p=162550#p162550
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
ZandzOfTime
Visitor

Hi TheEndless,

Won't creating a facade screen create a stack of screens which the grid screen and video doesn't like, or is it just that you can't stack video screen on top of grid screen?

- Zandz
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

No, it'll be fine. You sort of need it actually. Because you can't stack the grid screen and video screens, there will be flicker while you transition between them. When you make that transition, the screen will flicker to the facade for a second or two -- and then go to the destination screen. We use a facade screen with "retrieving..." in the middle of the screen. I think a couple more channels do the same thing.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"ZandzOfTime" wrote:
or is it just that you can't stack video screen on top of grid screen?

That's it exactly. The gridscreen actually uses the video buffer, which is where the conflict is. You can stack other non-video screens without issue.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

As previously stated in this forum, we consider the non-stackability of the video screens and grid screen a bug that we've fixed in an upcoming release. Until this fix has been deployed, please continue to use these workarounds.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
As previously stated in this forum, we consider the non-stackability of the video screens and grid screen a bug that we've fixed in an upcoming release. Until this fix has been deployed, please continue to use these workarounds.

--Kevin

Hadn't heard this. That's great news!
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
dcline97
Visitor

Closing the grid deletes the roGridScreen object, right?

So if I understand this correctly when returning from the springboard to the grid I need to recreate the roGridScreen object and reassign all the values before showing the grid again. Am I on the right track?

Dave
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"dcline97" wrote:
Closing the grid deletes the roGridScreen object, right?

So if I understand this correctly when returning from the springboard to the grid I need to recreate the roGridScreen object and reassign all the values before showing the grid again. Am I on the right track?

Dave

Actually, I think with the latest update (2.9b1533), this issue was fixed, so you can stack grids the same as other screens.
That aside, yes, you're on the right track.
0 Kudos
galexe
Visitor

It does not look like it is fixed in 2.9.1553 which I just tried a moment ago.
RokuKevin, any idea when the new build is coming out?
0 Kudos