Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
opnchaudhary
Streaming Star

roGridScreen and HTTPS Posters

Hello All,
Did anyone found how we could use image over HTTPS in gridScreen. I am using the certificate files and still I can't see the image appear in grid screen. Same certificate file works for posterscreen,springboardscreen but not for gridScreen.

If anyone found some way out to use HTTPS image in gridScreen. Please do share.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Paras Nath Chaudhary

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
OddScott
Roku Guru

Re: roGridScreen and HTTPS Posters

This is a known problem, not sure if it's been fixed in a recent firmware update.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51094

The only two solutions I am aware of are to either not use HTTPS/SSL for grid posters, or to copy the HTTPS/SSL grid posters into tmp:/, then display the tmp:/ posters in the grid.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I've filed a bug on this.

If anyone cares to create a simple demo app showing this issue, which I can sideload, please email or dropbox me the .zip

- Joel
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Just checked, the problem still exists in 5.2.

There's a .zip on its way to you.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
CDChris
Visitor

Any update on this? Is this a cert issue? Are there anyways to load images without adding another cert.

I am seeing this issue on roGridScreen and roSpringboardScreen.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

It doesn't look like the bug has been addressed yet, so I've raised its visibility with our engineering leads.

- Joel
0 Kudos
CDChris
Visitor

Any update on this?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Unfortunately not. Most businesses don't deliver their thumbnails over SSL so the business case is not there to make this a high priority, however, this bug probably will be fixed in the future.

- Joel
0 Kudos
Fmstrat

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Unfortunately not. Most businesses don't deliver their thumbnails over SSL so the business case is not there to make this a high priority, however, this bug probably will be fixed in the future.

- Joel

Hi Joel,

We're working through securing one of the top 10 Roku Apps with SSL (including thumbnails) due to a security issue and to ensure privacy of content. Can we speak through PM about the effect this bug is creating and rational for fixing? It appears as though I cannot PM you directly.

Thanks,
Ben

*edit*
Since I'm a new forum member, it seems PMs are disabled for me. Feel free to email me if that is easier than enabling PMs. Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

I'm moving a site to all https and the roku channel shares code for image sources, this issue just hit me. At least there's an explanation for what's going wrong. I'll need to create a separate feed just for the roku grid images to be non-https.
aspiring
0 Kudos