Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roCodeRegistrationScreen

Hi,

In transition to scene graph, roCodeRegistrationScreen is deprecated. can some one help what i can use in scene graph for the same
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
jasondixon
Visitor

Re: roCodeRegistrationScreen

You're going to have to rely on Username and Password entry to authenticate. Roku hasn't mentioned anything about replicating the registration code functionality for use in scene graph channels.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You ought to be able to recreate the screen manually using scenegraph labels, buttons, and tasks (timer, rourltransfer, registrysection) to talk to your server.  That's why it's been deprecated.  You'll want to be using those basic components in your code for various screens needed by your app anyway, so it's a good idea to get comfortable with them.  It took me about 4 hours to figure out how to display and update text on the screen, but then I'm not the brightest person... 🙂  If you have access to rokubilling on your account you can use their billing sample app to link, eliminating the need for the rocoderegistration rendevous linking code.  https://blog.roku.com/developer/2016/07/13/channelstore-node-billing-guide/

Sample channel for roku billing/scenegraph is here: https://roku.box.com/s/ihd3rasfywc9n67jze8vle40spp2wnk3
0 Kudos
jasondixon
Visitor

We re-created one in scene graph for our channels, but if Roku is deprecating the functionality, it will have to be removed, so I guess you'd need to consider whether it's worth your time to replicate something that might not work in a year?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

By recreate you mean you created "roCodeScreen" as an "roCodeScreen" and it will be deprecated.
What I mean is - using an xml file, and the basic components of "Button", "Label", "Task Node", etc you would need to 'MAKE' one from scratch without using "roCodeScreen" and then what you have will continue to work.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Perhaps I'm misreading the posts, but I get the feeling that jasondixon believes that roCodeRegistrationScreen does some sort of network activity to implement rendevous registration functionality.  This is not the case -- it is a simple UI screen which, as destruk says, can be implemented using SceneGraph elements.  The actual registration functionality is implemented outside of the screen itself, and can remain essentially the same whether you're using roCodeRegistration or SceneGraph.

--Mark
0 Kudos
jasondixon
Visitor

No. I just made a new SceneGraph UI that calls our same API methods we use to get the linking code. I just "recreated" the experience w/a new UI.... My point was that I haven't seen any statement from roku that this was NOT going away. I also don't see the large Roku clients using this functionality which lends to my suspicions that it's going away. Trying to save a dev some work in absence of info.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding you.  You haven't seen a statement that what is not going away?  roCodeRegistrationScreen is listed as one of the deprecated screens here:  https://blog.roku.com/developer/2017/02/01/legacy-sdk.  Is that what you mean?

--Mark
0 Kudos

Just so we are clear, Roku is not going to have an roCodeRegistrationScreen alternative under RSG? I am concerned that subscribers who sign up through my website will not have access to Roku.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

roCodeRegistrationScreen is just a screen which displays some text and has some buttons.  You can certainly create such a screen with RSG.  roCodeRegistrationScreen doesn't perform any network actions itself, only whatever your Brightscript code does when the screen is opened or buttons are pressed.  Whatever logic you're currently using to connect your web site registration to your Roku channel can be implemented using a RSG screen as well.

--Mark
0 Kudos