Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FML2010
Visitor

registration vs login??

I am confused on this, what i am trying to is quite simple actually and the back end i have done via PHP and Mysql...

all i want to do is make a channel where the user logs in and then videos they subscribed to are there to watch.

I have tried using the videoplayer example but i have to say brightscript confuses me...

i have looked at some of the other samples too but every time i try to combine examples together it breaks and wont even shows up in my channels.

can anyone help me out with this?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: registration vs login??

To capture a username and password, you'll probably want to use the roKeyboardScreen. I don't think there's an example of how to use that in the SDK, but there is an example in the ComponentReference that should help you get started.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
FML2010
Visitor

thanks i thought i was crazy that i couldnt find an example...

One thing that i was trying to figure out is, So can would it be best for log in or registration? i want to be able to keep password sharing from happening and each account must be hooked to a Roku box.

I have been reading the SDK but sometimes its like russian to me!
0 Kudos
nowhereman
Visitor

"FML2010" wrote:
One thing that i was trying to figure out is, So can would it be best for log in or registration? i want to be able to keep password sharing from happening and each account must be hooked to a Roku box.

If you have control of the back end servers, which it sounds like you do, you should go with the registration model. That method saves users from pecking out a username and password on the screen-based keyboard. There is a document in the SDK called RokuDvp-DeviceRegistrationAndLinking.pdf that explains the typical workflow involved and there is also an example app called "register" that should be helpful.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
FML2010
Visitor

thanks Guys, yeah i was playing with that example...

one problem i am having is the example wont do anything but keep bringing me back to the congratulations screen... is there something i need to change it doesnt even give me a second to see the page with the code and website to go with

I would like to get the registration going together with the video player example... but i just keep killing the script..!

i see the reference in here www.myco.com/roku now this would be wear i put the "cacert.pem" certificate?

Sorry but this is quite confusing to me..
0 Kudos