Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

rOS 7: [*] button => "deadend" sound, why?

Just got fw 7.0.9021 and noticing that pressing "Options" ("*") button on the remote when in-channel has started making a gratuitous "deadend" sound now. What's up with that?!

Re-stating verbosely: start an app (be it BrSc or native, does not matter). Press "*" on the remote (any remote, incl. ECP app) in a place where you know it did not complain in fw6.2. You'll hear a slightly-annoyed-"ding" (like when reaching end-of-a-list). Try some other button that is passive in that screen, say A/B or maybe InstantReplay - no ding. This (mis)behavior seems to be in the input API.

Not cool. Is it a regression (i seem to remember there was deadend beep before) or intentional - and if the latter, how is it cured?
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: rOS 7: [*] button => "deadend" sound, why?

Yeah noticed that myself - Perhaps you need to return "True" that you handled it yourself: as in Scene Graph 😐
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
Perhaps you need to return "True" that you handled it yourself: as in Scene Graph 😐
Can't - there is no facility for that in what i use (see here and here).

Also, AFAIR there is no way for an event to return code back in "classic" B/S events like roUniversalControlEvent. (If there were, we'd be doing 2-way comm. on ECP via roInputEvent.)
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Just trying to be funny. There is no way to return. But it may Be a side-effect from the Scene Graph event handler, which does require a return value.
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Oy! Roku* - what happened with this?
Four months passed - did somebody look at it, will it be fixed?

I am using the "options" button in an app and my supposedly current rOS 7.0.9044 still makes the stupid sound - but which is worse, when i hold
  • down, the sound starts repeating itself and turns into a machine-gun-fire audio, akin to http://soundbible.com/1371-Uzi-Shooting.html
  • 0 Kudos
    EnTerr
    Roku Guru

Issue still there in rOS 7.1.4062.

@Roku - is there a ticket on this? Any clarification notes from it?
    0 Kudos
    Komag
    Roku Guru

Yeah, it's really annoying in my game to hear that sound every time the player wants to throw an Item or drink a potion.
    0 Kudos
    renojim
    Community Streaming Expert

Komag, what screen type are you using? I know it makes the sound for an image canvas and, for the record, the FF and Rew buttons also produce the sound, but I don't hear it when using an roScreen. I reported the FF/Rew image canvas regression years ago when I first noticed it and actually had it acknowledged in one of the beta forums as a bug, but it's still there years later, so I wouldn't hold out any hope of the asterisk button deadend sound being fixed.

-JT
    Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
    If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
    0 Kudos
    Komag
    Roku Guru

I'm roScreen all the way, and it's only * that makes the sound, and it's only a partial sound, not the full thing
    0 Kudos
    RokuKC
    Roku Employee
    Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:
    Oy! Roku* - what happened with this?
    Four months passed - did somebody look at it, will it be fixed?

I am using the "options" button in an app and my supposedly current rOS 7.0.9044 still makes the stupid sound - but which is worse, when i hold
  • down, the sound starts repeating itself and turns into a machine-gun-fire audio, akin to http://soundbible.com/1371-Uzi-Shooting.html

• I just filed an issue ticket for it.
    0 Kudos