Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: "public" vs "private" choice in Manage Channels?

Any user who installed the old channel with that vanity code, will not automatically be switched to the new channel.

Correct, there is no direct way to move your users of a private channel to a separate public channel.

Technically it is possible to move a channel from public to private and vice versa, but we don't normally move channels from private to public that started off as private. We do move public channels private when we become aware that they are not functioning, and bring them back public if the developer fixes them.

- Joel
0 Kudos
workerdummy
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"renae_christine" wrote:
Why would anyone decide to have a private channel if the channel can be public? Unless Roku would dismiss the channel being public for violation issues, I don't understand why anyone would turn down their channel being listed inside the channel store for extra traffic. Am I missing something?

There are a number of reasons I can think of:
  • The developer may want to limit their audience (think corporate channels or channels you only want to be made available to your friends and family).

A Private Channel question, do the Private Channel listing sites have access to all new Private Channels and add them to their lists after they are created or do we have to specifically submit the channel to them for listing? I don't want it listed for the above bolded reason. Thanks.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"workerdummy" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"renae_christine" wrote:
Why would anyone decide to have a private channel if the channel can be public? Unless Roku would dismiss the channel being public for violation issues, I don't understand why anyone would turn down their channel being listed inside the channel store for extra traffic. Am I missing something?

There are a number of reasons I can think of:
  • The developer may want to limit their audience (think corporate channels or channels you only want to be made available to your friends and family).

A Private Channel question, do the Private Channel listing sites have access to all new Private Channels and add them to their lists after they are created or do we have to specifically submit the channel to them for listing? I don't want it listed for the above bolded reason. Thanks.
    They don't have access to any list anywhere. They cull them from forums and other web sites where the codes have been posted, or from tips they get from other users. As long as you don't share your code outside of a group of folks that you trust, you should be fine.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
workerdummy
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
They don't have access to any list anywhere. They cull them from forums and other web sites where the codes have been posted, or from tips they get from other users. As long as you don't share your code outside of a group of folks that you trust, you should be fine.

Great! Thanks for the reply and info!
0 Kudos