Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jblack199
Visitor

none of my videos play

So while i'm trying to grasp the language, i decided to try one of my videos in the simplevideoplayer example...

I've upload it to my amazon s3 account, and entered the URL to the file in the .brs file, saved it and re-created my zip file.. deleted the installation i had, and uploaded a new installation...

The channel comes up with all the default images (as expected)... i press play and nothing happens...

in the script i see :

itemVenter = { ContentType:"episode"
SDPosterUrl:"file://pkg:/images/CraigVenter-2008.jpg"
HDPosterUrl:"file://pkg:/images/CraigVenter-2008.jpg"
IsHD:False
HDBranded:False
ShortDescriptionLine1:"Can we create new life out of our digital universe?"
ShortDescriptionLine2:""
Description:"He walks the TED2008 audience through his latest research into fourth-generation fuels -- biologically created fuels with CO2 as their feedstock. His talk covers the details of creating brand-new chromosomes using digital technology, the reasons why we would want to do this, and the bioethics of synthetic life. A fascinating Q&A with TED's Chris Anderson follows."
Rating:"NR"
StarRating:"80"
Length:1972
Categories:["Technology","Talk"]
Title:"Craig Venter asks, Can we create new life out of our digital universe?"
}

All of which can stay the same, except maybe length... what exactly is the length parameter? I know it's the length, but in what format? Say my video is 15 minutes and 6 seconds long...

For encoding, i've used handbrake, sony vegas pro 10.0 and adobe premier pro CS5.5 in both mp4 formats and wmv formats to no avail.

Once I figure out how to get my one video to play these are the questions i had on my first attempt...

I'm trying to build a channel that's say similar to netflix or crackle (not the same type of content, just the style)... i understand the overhangs and stuff like that... but i'm looking to figure out the following...

#1. why my channel icon won't show... i'm guessing that has to do with the manifest file....

#2. do i need that makeFile thing in my projects? because in all examples i see the makefile (im running on a windows box not a *nix box so i imagine no I don't but figure better make sure)...

#3. how to have multiple videos.. all the examples i've seen are single videos.. initially we'll start off with 1 or 2 videos and i'll have to add a video probably every week. so i think having the 'scroller' thing when you enter the channel would be a good thing to have but i can't figure out how to do any of this stuff....

Any help appreciated..
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: none of my videos play

your channel focus and side icons are indeed set in the manifest file. You don't need to worry about the makefile for your channel to operate. You might want to post some of the code on the attributes of your mp4 files so we could see if there might be some error there, what you have posted is the metadata, which isn't going to show us what's going on. Also, if you are planning to have multiple videos and update them weekly, you might want to look at the videoplayer example (not the simplevideoplayer) because it's a good example of using xml files to populate poster screens and set the paths for files to stream. That way you can just add to your xml file (that could even be hosted on your site) when you add new videos rather than have to alter your actual channel. Whn the channel starts, it queries and parses the XML with all your video data.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: none of my videos play

as far as icons go, this might be the problem:

SDPosterUrl:"file://pkg:/images/CraigVenter-2008.jpg"
HDPosterUrl:"file://pkg:/images/CraigVenter-2008.jpg"

that should be:

SDPosterURL:"pkg:/images/CraigVenter-2008.jpg"
HDPosterUrl:"pkg:/images/CraigVenter-2008.jpg"
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos