Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wcfray
Visitor

my channel stopped working

WillowCreek Fellowship channel has just plain stopped working.
I get the splash screens on my 2XS, but then it freezes.
I have done nothing to change the channel via Roku.
I update the xml and images files on my server every week.
I don't think it froze immediately after doing an update anyway.
I have tried side loading the original zip file but I get the error "Invalid Public Key".
I know the password is correct because when I inspect the pkg file I get:
App Name: wcf_roku50/1.1
Dev ID: 93....................................59 (let me know if you need this number)
Creation Date:
dev.zip: c..............................7 (If you need this number, let me know)
I try to do a Rekey, but get the error: Invalid Public Key
I tried to do a minor update, but I think I got the same error. At this point I am bleary eyed. :cry:
Have any of the Channel store picture size requirements changed in the last couple of years?
I had a few picture dimensions slightly off and was going to correct them in the minor update.
My telnet debug screen had numerous entries which I am still trying to look at, but one in particular baffled me: Manifest does not exist in zip archive. Uhh, yes it does exist in the zip archive. Could my 2XS have a problem? My 2XS works on lots of other channels.
I note in the SDK docs (Channel Packaging and Publishing, Section 1.0 Intro to...) a reference to: https://owner.roku.com/Developer/Home/
I get an error page when I try to go there.
Thanks, Ray.
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: my channel stopped working

According to this old post, the "Invalid Public Key" error means you're entering the wrong password: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66075&p=422887&hilit=invalid+public+key#p422887

As for the "Manifest does not exist in zip archive" error, have you double-checked the zip file you're uploading to ensure that the manifest is at the root? Is it possible you zipped it up one level higher than you should have?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
wcfray
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.
I also read that post about the wrong password being the reason for the Invalid Public Key.
That is why I mentioned that I used the same password to Inspect the pkg file successfully.
I believe that means I have the correct password.
I also tried rekeying, but got the same error.

Regarding the Manifest file, here is a screenshot of the contents of the very same zip file I created my channel with.

Hmmmm, I guess the Img tag won't embed the picture, so here is a link to that picture:
http://willowcreekfellowship.org/wcfroku50.jpg

If it will help and it is an OK idea, I will post the links to my xml files.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Make sure you zip from within the folder and not from the root - open the folder of your project, select all, and send to zip.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"wcfray" wrote:
My telnet debug screen had numerous entries which I am still trying to look at, but one in particular baffled me: Manifest does not exist in zip archive.

One thing at a time, @wcfray!
I get the impression there are multiple things here. If i understand correctly,
(a) you had published a channel (private or public), which stopped working and
(b) now that you try to re-publish it, you are getting some additional issues (manifest complains)
I understand you want to fix the channels but trying to address everything at once will just confuse the matters.

What firmware is your player running and when has it updated last?
You case might be similar to what i saw couple of months ago viewtopic.php?f=34&t=75717 - firmware added a function to /common/LibCore library that name-clashes with function of mine, which lead to published pvt channel not working in manner similar to what you saw.
0 Kudos
wcfray
Visitor

One thing at a time, @wcfray!

Excellent point, as I don't know. There might be multiple issues.
(a) you had published a channel (private or public), which stopped working and

I have a published public channel which stopped working.
(b) now that you try to re-publish it, you are getting some additional issues (manifest complains)

True, but via side loading. I have not gotten to the point of republishing because I can't test the old original package.
I understand you want to fix the channels but trying to address everything at once will just confuse the matters.

I agree.
What firmware is your player running and when has it updated last?

Model number: 3100X (Roku2XS) (from Roku player, Settings | About)
Software version: 5.5 - build 410 (from Roku player, Settings | About)
Last updated: Aug 1 2:52 am (from Roku player, Settings | System Update)
Last checked: Jan 4 12:25 pm (from Roku player, Settings | System Update)
Min. Firmware v2.5 b388 (from https://owner.roku.com/Developer/Apps/Details/xxxxx)
I could not find a date specifically referring to Firmware.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=75717

The date on that topic is close to 2 months before I started having my problem.
0 Kudos
wcfray
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Make sure you zip from within the folder and not from the root - open the folder of your project, select all, and send to zip.

The zip file is the same unmolested zip file I used about 22 months ago to first establish the channel. That is why I posted the contents with the date time stamps.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"wcfray" wrote:

I did not say your problem was caused by the beta firmware discussed there. Rather i pointed unexpected ways exist, in which new firmwares may break working channels - one of which is a change in a Roku-provided file used with "library" statement.

Isn't 5.5.410 a little old-ish, or is this the current fw for #3100, does someone know?
An idea on the side, Roku*: how about keeping a web-page or forum topic with list of all current firmware versions, per model? For easy reference when in doubt.
0 Kudos
wcfray
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"wcfray" wrote:

I did not say your problem was caused by the beta firmware discussed there. Rather i pointed unexpected ways exist, in which new firmwares may break working channels - one of which is a change in a Roku-provided file used with "library" statement.

Isn't 5.5.410 a little old-ish, or is this the current fw for #3100, does someone know?
An idea on the side, Roku*: how about keeping a web-page or forum topic with list of all current firmware versions, per model? For easy reference when in doubt.

Sorry if my comment mislead you on my meaning. No snarkiness was intended. I really appreciate the feedback. I was trying to say that since my problem was more recent than that forum post that I did not think it was applicable. However, your comment makes sense. If Roku is changing things that break channels then there should be notice of some sort. In fact I wondered if I needed to find the notification webpage and get signed up. I am not a Roku expert (obviously still very much the learner).

I have limited time available to troubleshoot this right now, so my discoveries are slow to be coming. <grammar?>
0 Kudos
wcfray
Visitor

I lost all that I typed because the forum logged me off. Argh. Partial reconstruction follows.

Partial mea culpa.
I found 1 missing quote in categories.xml
Fixing that has allowed me back into the channel, BUT there are other problems.
I can enter categories 1-4, but none after that.
Category 4's image will not load.
The first entry under Category 4 shows the image that is supposed to be the image of Category 4 also.
This is normal. I always use the first image of a given category as the image of the category.
But in this case the image does not show as the Category 4 image.
The debug screen is showing a couple of errors:
Note: GC - Found 110 orphaned objects (objects in a circular ref loop).
and (partial excerpt of debug follows)
------ Running ------
created feed connection for http://willowcreekfellowship
url: http://willowcreekfellowship.org/roku/xml/categorie
Took: 148ms
Parse Took: 3ms
begin category node parsing
number of categories: 10
ParseCategoryNode: category
category: Sermons: Easter | 2012-2014
categoryLeaf: 2012-2014 []
ParseCategoryNode: categoryLeaf