Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fdepiero

making standard 'be-doop' sounds

I'm using the roImageCanvas which doesn't automatically generate the standard sounds associated with navigation. Is there a system call that I can use to generate the sounds used for standard navigation?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
evilmax17
Visitor

Re: making standard 'be-doop' sounds

AFAIK, there is no direct way to do this with the current SDK.

Possible hacks and workarounds were discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=35581

Nice onomatopoeia though! 🙂
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

If you want to try to fake it up (which is only useful currently if you can deal with up to a second delay), here's a few pointers:

• The audio player component only deals with MP3s, so convert sounds to that.

• There' sometimes a problem if the sound is less than a second, so pad with silence to make it a minimum of a second long.

• Make sure you don't let the audio player component go out of scope before it's finished playing, or you'll got a partial sound or no sound at all.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
fdepiero

Thanks to those who replied.

Agree there are issues with very short sounds. I've had to pad some of my sound clips.

The suggestion to do a 'PutMessage' is quite diabolical. I love it. However that command doesn't seem to be supported anymore 😞

Often wondered about pausing a looping clip. Like the idea, but envision that eventually the pause location would get out of sync with sound, thus the start of play might occur in the middle of the sound. Not sure if there are workarounds...

Fundamentally the issue I face is with performance. My applications have lots of navigation (moving cursor around a puzzle...) so responsiveness to navigation is critical, and this takes a hit when I start playing a sound. The native 'be-doop' sounds don't seem to incur this performance degradation. Ho-Humm. Maybe this will be supported in the future?

Thanks again,
Fred
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"fdepiero" wrote:
Maybe this will be supported in the future?

Based on what Roku has said they are planning to add (from requests for this in the past), I would say it's very likely they've got something planned to help with this problem.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
dmitskevich
Visitor

Is there any update on this? May be in 3.0 we can make "key handling sounds" in roImageCanvas?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Check out roAudioResource in the v3.0 BrightScript Reference.

--Kevin
0 Kudos