Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goudalf

mDNS resolution on the Roku

Hello,

I'm experimenting with the Roku SDK, and one of the needs I have for my experiments is to have my Roku app being able to find some other devices on my network using mDNS.

I've already tried to use a .local hostname in my code, trying to reach a device which responds to mDNS queries for its .local name but it looks like the resolver of the Roku platform doesn't support that.

So, alternatively, I tried to find some class/method in the SDK which would allow me to perform some kind of mDNS queries.

In the BrightScript documentation, I've found a class called "roNetworkDiscovery" which is supposed to be able to perform mDNS service lookup, not hostname, but I could also manage with that.

However when I try to do CreateObject("roNetworkDiscovery") I am getting the error:

BRIGHTSCRIPT: ERROR: Runtime: unknown classname "roNetworkDiscovery"

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Any idea ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: mDNS resolution on the Roku

You probably found that in BrightSign documentation.  While they use BrightScript like Roku devices, they don't both support the same components.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.