Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramakanth
Visitor

list of roImageCanvas views in a row of roGridScreen

Hi All,
How to achieve a list of roImageCanvas views in a row of roGridScreen?

here is the link to the screen shot of the amazon instant video which implement the kind of screen i am talking about. it's in the TV Genres category where you have Editor's pick, Documentary, Kids & Family as tiles, according to my unders†anding there is one background image on top of which we are using roImageCanvas to draw text (or all this are different images with text itself ), if all are different images i can easily pass it to the gridview as one of the row, if that is not the case i may need to use roImageCanvas to draw text on top of the background image, but in this case how can i push a list of roImageCanvas as one of the row to the rogridscreen?

any code snippet will be welcome, please help me out.

Here is the amazon app screenshot link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9SpvR ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
Ramakanth.G
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: list of roImageCanvas views in a row of roGridScreen

The text on those squares is in a graphic asset on the server and was probably pre-created, but your best bet for what you are trying to do is to composite graphics on the server before delivering to the device. Amazon does, I believe use image canvas for the "drop down" style menus that overlay the grid screen, but that wouldn't work for the art that appears in items on the grid.

Otherwise, you can create your own gridscreen using the 2D APIs (roScreen, roCompositor etc) which would allow you to composite at will, or, explore our new SceneGraph API.

- Joel
0 Kudos
ramakanth
Visitor

Hi Joel,
Thanks for the reply.

what's your thought on the menu implementation of Google Play and Amazon Instant Video, are you sure all this assets are fetched from server with text and icon embedded in same image? or they just have icons on top of which they are rendering the text using roImageCanvas?

please find the below url's for screenshot's.

Thanks,
Ramakanth.G
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The only thing that can be used as the posters in a grid screen are URLs that point to image files. Those items in your screenshot are simple images with the text embedded in the image.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

This reminds me of that viewtopic.php?f=34&t=47658
From the same need, a somewhat more generic thing was requested over three years ago.
Is that one coming, the ability to save ifDraw2D to an image file?
0 Kudos