Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielsmith46
Reel Rookie

keyboardDialog and pinDialog not responding to a back button press. Help would be appreciated!

I am unable to find any documentation about the back button press handling for these dialogs. I have checked in the onKeyEvent observer function for a back button key press, and never get the key press.

I am assuming this is default behavior, but is there a setting that changes the default behavior? I'm not seeing it in the docs.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: keyboardDialog and pinDialog not responding to a back button press. Help would be appreciated!

I don't know if you found anymore information, but I just ran into the same issue and came across this old discussion:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Back-key-not-closing-RSG-Dialogs/td-p/454568

Basically a dialog isn't a dialog unless it's assigned to the scene's dialog parameter.  I think it's a bug for the back key to get silently eaten the way it is, but clearly Roku has no intention of changing the undocumented behavior or said documentation.

-JT

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
danielsmith46
Reel Rookie

Re: keyboardDialog and pinDialog not responding to a back button press. Help would be appreciated!

The solution that I arrived at was creating a class of dialog that extends the dialog of the type you're needing, creating it with a boolean field and intercepting the onKeyEvent in that class. Then in the dialog that is a child of that class needs to set an observer on that field and hide and show itself accordingly. It's a ridiculous way of doing it, but it works, and that's Roku in a nutshell. It's also why I love Roku.

0 Kudos