Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dustinhood
Visitor

isStreamStarted() - stream and measured bitrate

I need to programmatically obtain the stream bitrate and measured bandwidth/bitrate of the currently playing video in my app.

It looks like isStreamStarted() may provide this info, can anyone provide me an example of how this is used.

Ideally I need to send this info along with the current position on a timed interval to a web service for tracking and troubleshooting purposes. I have been able to implement the timed interval by making use of isPlaybackPosition(), just not sure how I can get the rest of the info using isStreamStarted().

Any help pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dustin
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: isStreamStarted() - stream and measured bitrate

isStreamStarted() is only going to give you the measured bitrate at the point the video starts, and in my experience, isn't terribly accurate (I've seen the same stream produce wildly different results). You may be able to use the roSystemLog and its bandwidth.minute log type to capture some useful information during playback.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dustinhood
Visitor

Thanks, I will give roSystemLog() a try...
0 Kudos
dustinhood
Visitor

Obtaining the bandwidth using bandwidth.minute from roSystemLog worked like a charm.

Is there any way to get the bitrate of the currently playing item or it's dot representation? I know the playback debugger outputs the the stream bitrate onscreen...
0 Kudos