Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsj123
Visitor

dns server

Working on a mythtv channel and we ran into a little annoyance last night. The roku can't seem to find/use my in-house dns server. All addresses are assigned from a linux dhcp server, and all of the other devices get the dns server from it. Its not a big deal, we are just using the ip address, but would like to fix it.

BTW, the myth channel is coming along nicely, hope to have basic functionality working in a week or two.

--Stephen
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: dns server

The Roku will use the DNS Server that your DHCP server tells it to use.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
jsj123
Visitor

Is there a way to see what its current network settings are, i.e like ifconfing in linux?
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

It works for me, I'm running DHCP and my own .home domain for the machines on my LAN. DHCP is from a Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato and the DNS is served up using djbdns.
0 Kudos
TommyTheKid
Visitor

I will pipe up again here, that avahi would be nice 🙂

I would suggest booting a LIVE CD and doing ZERO configuration to it. Open a terminal window and make sure that DNS is working as you expect. Maybe the domain name needs tuned?

There is an "option ndots:2" (approximately) that we had to add to our resolv.conf for a while because the system resolver would not automatically append the "domainname" if there was more than one DOT in the name. We have a corporation that has names like host.sub.domain.com, and people tend to like to use "host.sub" and assume the "domain.com" will automatically append like it does in Solaris. I don't know if this is the case for your configuration, but I suggest putting:

http://HOSTNAME.home./path/to/file.mp4

(i.e. the trailing dot tells the resolver that its a FQDN)

Tommy
0 Kudos