Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: decreasing compatibility to increase sales?

Be nice everyone.

You're misinterpreting what you're seeing, though I can see where you might be lead to that conclusion. We do not artificially disadvantage any channel's based strictly on it's compatibility, though our usage metrics may weight usage on different models differently. For instance, we may sort games based on usage on Roku2 and Roku3, since these are our "gaming" products. The result would be that the order may show that those games that take advantage of Roku2's gaming features tend to be more popular on the Roku2, for obvious reasons. If a game had a lot of usage on Roku2, it would be right up there, regardless of for which platforms it was available.

The web channel store may use a different usage metric, since a large part of the web channel store is helping new users find out what's popular on the products that are currently offered for sale.

The short of it is, get more people to use your channel and it will have a better position, regardless of the platforms it supports. And reduced compatibility won't up the channel's position, just reduce its availability.
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
If a game had a lot of usage on Roku2, it would be right up there, regardless of for which platforms it was available.

Hi Patrick,

I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

If it was possible for a channel that is compatible with R1 to be shown higher up, there would be at least one single exception in that list.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"DerekHelps" wrote:
if I go into the 'Games' section, 'Rogue' (compatible with all, I believe) is listed higher than 'Angry Birds Space' (available only on Roku 3 I believe)

Nope, Rogue is R2 only.

There are a couple channels like Angry Birds Space that have weird compatibility rules, they are put in the same group as the R1 chans.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
roqo
Visitor

It's an obvious flaw in metrics...I think you're speaking to the wrong crowd I guess. 😕
0 Kudos