Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nuB
Visitor

Youtube player

i am a newbie roku developer.I am able to play youtube videos in my app by giving the url.But what i am trying to do is to show a gridscreen of all the videos in youtube of a particular category.Is there any way of dynamically making a youtube playlist so that the user can watch the videos that are uploaded recently.Like after selecting a category one by one all the videos for that category will be played and the list of videos will get updated automatically.waiting for responses.thank you. 🙂
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Youtube player

That's against the YouTube terms of service.
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

I've read a lot of these threads that playing YouTube clips is against the YouTube TOS, which I get. But I need to do a quick demo with some content that's on YouTube -- not for a production channel, just to do a little convincing that there is a path to success for my channel. But I can't get the basic YouTube player URL's to work:

Unknown event: 11 msg: Service does not support range requests.
Unknown event: 11 msg: Unspecified or invalid track path/url.

Does somebody know the right way to present a URL so that it will stream through Roku -- JUST FOR A SHORT TIME, for my demo? It is not for any nefarious purpose whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite!

Thanks.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I don't think the amount of time streaming from youtube is an valid exemption. ie it's just as wrong to stream 1/100th of a second as it is to stream 200 hours straight.
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

Google is a potential partner in this venture, and I want to demo it to them directly, so violating their TOS does not matter in this case. I am looking for technical "how to", not advice on the legal constraints, which I already understand fully.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

In that case, Google should be able to get you the url's you would need for their demo. You can begin the permissions process by filling out the simple form here specifically tailored for YouTube (owned by Google):
https://support.google.com/youtube/cont ... nd_request
0 Kudos
greid
Visitor

Great; thanks!
0 Kudos