Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: customize grid loading image

That is pretty accurate, there is a Wikipedia page that covers our models in depth, some inaccuracies but mostly correct.

Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: customize grid loading image

"malloys" wrote:
I've got an N1000 and an N1101 that are both running 3.1 (and the ebay page seems to only show the 2100).
Just guessing, but would it be safe to say 3.1 runs on all the first generation boxes (i.e. the models using the NXP chips and not the models using the Broadcom chips)?
i.e. Models: N1000, N1050, N1100, N1101, 2000, 2050, 2100
Or is there a different criteria and/or a definitive list somewhere?

I would put it this way: "Everything that has model number < 2222 is the legacy platform of Roku" and is stuck at 3.x firmware. The models > 2222 are the new platform and currently on 5.x firmware. (Picked the number 2222 as arbitrary cut-off between 2100 and 2400)

There is a big hardware difference actually, the NXP is MIPS-based CPU where the new ones are ARM. It is kind of like Apple jumping from PowerPC onto Intel CPUs, big deal in lower-level coding. Luckily B/S mostly abstracts that. The legacy platform is in maintenance mode, getting some bugfixes and with delay - but no new features. I have no insider info on that, they may or may not release future update (last one i think was around june 2013)
0 Kudos