Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpjamloki
Visitor

component missing in legacy device

Hi,
i am facing a problem with legacy device(firmware version 3.01). some component like "roTextureManager" is giving invalid here. i want to know :
1. which component is not working for legacy device except roMessageport ?
2. what is the alternate for these component which not working in legacy devices?

3. firmvare version 3.0 or below comes under legacy device am i right or wrong? if wrong please explain which devices comes under legacy devices.

and one question more:

when i am clicking on ifSetMessagePort option under roTexuremanager:
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roTextureManager
it sends me in following link
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/login.action?os_destination=%2Fdisplay%2Frokudocs%2FifSetMessagePort

but there is no signup button .

i have logged in with all possible way:

By my roku forum developer account
By my developer account in roku.com

but not any account work for me here.

Any help would be helpful.
Thanx
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: component missing in legacy device

"cpjamloki" wrote:
when i am clicking on ifSetMessagePort option under roTexuremanager:
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roTextureManager

Thanks for the issue report. The link should be working now.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

1. The roTextureManager component is not implemented in the Version 3.1 firmware. According to the Release Notes, it was implemented in Version 4.9.

Some legacy-only components and features (but not all) are documented in the Component Reference as being unavailable in Version 3.1. Some components are documented in the Release Notes as being introduced in a particular firmware release.

2. There are no "alternate" Roku components for components that are not implemented in a particular firmware release. You'd have to implement them yourself.

3. I do know that firmware 3.1 and below is considered "legacy" firmware. According to the Release Notes, Version 5.0 was released to all second and later generation devices, so I'd say that at least Version 5.0 and above would not be considered legacy. I'm not sure about the Version 4.x firmware, although I don't believe there are any devices that even have this any more.
0 Kudos
cpjamloki
Visitor

thanx beltown for reply. is there any alternate for roTextureManager in legacy device as i want to hit a service and show images on my roscreen in legacy device.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"cpjamloki" wrote:
thanx beltown for reply. is there any alternate for roTextureManager in legacy device as i want to hit a service and show images on my roscreen in legacy device.

Is your roScreen component a) implementing a 2D game, or b) re-inventing one of the Roku built-in components?

If a) then one alternate option would be to implement your own Texture Manager. Or you could pay someone to code one for you, or hope that some benevolent developer would give you the code that they've already written for this purpose.

If b) then your channel could check the firmware version at startup using ifDeviceInfo.GetVersion (). If the major version number is less than 5, assume you're running the legacy firmware, and use built-in Roku components to display your content lists (roPosterScreen, roListScreen, roGridScreen, etc.) and content items (roSpringboardScreen, roParagraphScreen, roVideoScreen, etc.) If the major version is at least 5 then use your roScreen code along with the roTextureManager. You may actually find this easier than trying to implement your own Texture Manager. Using the built-in components is considerably easier than trying to develop custom components with roScreen. If you don't have much animation or scrolling then implementing the custom components using an roImageCanvas would be another option; the roImageCanvas handles the image caching for you automatically just like the other built-in components. If you do decide to use a separate code path for the legacy firmware-equipped Rokus, then both sets of code would reside in the same channel package (in different files most likely), but could share many common features. You'd also have to watch out that the total size of your zipped channel package does not exceed the 750KB limit for legacy Rokus, which might be doable if you're downloading the images from your server.
0 Kudos