Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

code in RSG xml not needed

Hello, anyone familiar with the coding design of the SceneGraph channel regarding the feed xml files?
What I mean is that in the feed xml file it has 3 things I'm questioning that don't seem to be needed;
<resultLength> , <endIndex> and <contentId>;

<feed>
<!-- resultLength indicates the total number of results for this feed -->
<resultLength>4</resultLength>
<!-- endIndix  indicates the number of results for this *paged* section of the feed -->
<endIndex>4</endIndex>
<item sdImg="https://devtools.web.roku.com/videoplayer/images/AlGore.jpg" hdImg="https://devtools.web.roku.com/videoplayer/images/AlGore.jpg">
<title>Al Gore warns on latest climate trends</title>
<contentId>10011</contentId>

If I remove those 3 things the channel still loads and plays each individual feed/stream just fine. If I have 4 or 10 individual feed results, doesn't seem to care. Do you know what they are actually used for? Thank you
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

Re: code in RSG xml not needed

Are the people that write these channels not members of this forum?
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"matrixebiz" wrote:
Are the people that write these channels not members of this forum?

My guess is that the people who do write channels and are members of this forum who might be interested in answering you, don't know the answer, since that includes me.
If it works, then you don't need them.  Probably they're useful in cases where there is a lot of data and the app is lazy-loading a subset by breaking them up into chunks.  In that case your "resultLength" will be less than your "endIndex"

cheers 🙂
aspiring
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

ContentID could be used for any number of things - from tracking what got played by reference to a server, storing a bookmark based on the contentID on the roku or server, looking up a master list table by content ID for extra information, etc etc.  You would need to look at the channel code to see if it's used.  Also, the same feed can be used by more platforms than simply roku - if you remove them from the feed file you might be breaking support for other apps like android or amazon fire or something.  Ask yourself - is removing those lines of the xml truly necessary and then check with your team members before making drastic changes to what it downloads.
0 Kudos
matrixebiz
Roku Guru

Okay, yeah, I was assuming sort of the same thing in that maybe those line are not currently implemented in the code but are there for future changes to the code or abandoned or maybe other devices do use these lines, didn't think about that, I was only thinking Roku. 
0 Kudos