Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kwooly
Visitor

channel per roku device

I would like to know if their is a limit to how many channel i can added per device?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: channel per roku device

There is, but it varies by device. If you have a microSD slot with a card in it, it will use that for extra channel storage.
0 Kudos
Kwooly
Visitor

Thanks for your respond Destruk ,but am sure i ask the question correct.
If i have say 5 roku channel that i have created can 1 roku box mannage to support all 5 channel?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You can have one sideloaded channel that you created on a roku device at any one time. If you publish channels you make to the channel store as private (or public) channels, then you can add those to your roku device until it runs out of room.
The number of channels that can be installed varies per model of roku device, and depends on the individual size of each channel. ie if you load Netflix - that is a bigger channel than the "Speedtest Channel" and will take more room on the device.
There is no way to know how much room is left on the roku to install more channels, no way of knowing how much room is currently in use for channel installations, and if it runs out of room then you won't be able to load more channels without a microSD card attached for extra storage of channels.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

That is true for the old 3.x devices. Devices running 5.x don't have any limit on the number of channels. If more channels are installed than will fit in the device memory, the most recently used channels are kept on the device and others are downloaded as needed.

I think the OP was asking more about development channels. As stated, you can have only one at a time sideloaded. If you're working on 5 simultaneously, you can sideload the one you currently want to run. You can also only have one developer key installed at any one time, so if you want to package different channels with different keys, you will need to rekey the device before generating a channel package.

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... Publishing

--Mark
0 Kudos
Kwooly
Visitor

Thanks for the knowledge guys
0 Kudos