Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

channel duplicated after delete from "Manage Channels"

hello friends.
I wonder why after delete a channel from the "Manage Channels", still appear the channel on the roku (tv). Then if I add or update the same channel on the "Manage Channels", it is duplicated and both appear on TV.
Humbly await your answers. :roll:
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: channel duplicated after delete from "Manage Channels"

Deleting a channel from the channel store will not remove it from users' Roku. You have to explicitly remove the channel on the Roku itself. If you add the channel back via Manage Channels, you're creating a whole new channel, which is why it shows up a second time on your box.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I'd think the only way to have two copies of the same channel is if it's sideloaded, and then added as a public/private channel from the channel store. I haven't seen it load multiple copies of the channel any other way to the home screen.
If you are sideloading channels, it will show up at the end of the list, and you remove that one by going to the developer webpage and delete it there. Anything else should be classed as a bug, as you shouldn't have multiple copies of the same channel in normal operation (it ought to say channel is already installed and refuse to load more copies)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought removing a channel from the channel store was set up to delete it from the rokus on the same account within 24 hours? What do you do if you don't have the remote with the remove channel option at another location? Do you need to rely on third party hardware or smartphone apps or buy the remote with the remove option button, or do a factory reset?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
I'd think the only way to have two copies of the same channel is if it's sideloaded, and then added as a public/private channel from the channel store. I haven't seen it load multiple copies of the channel any other way to the home screen.
If you are sideloading channels, it will show up at the end of the list, and you remove that one by going to the developer webpage and delete it there. Anything else should be classed as a bug, as you shouldn't have multiple copies of the same channel in normal operation (it ought to say channel is already installed and refuse to load more copies)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought removing a channel from the channel store was set up to delete it from the rokus on the same account within 24 hours? What do you do if you don't have the remote with the remove channel option at another location? Do you need to rely on third party hardware or smartphone apps or buy the remote with the remove option button, or do a factory reset?

I think you misunderstood the situation. He deleted his published channel via the "Manage Channels" page of the developer site (which removed it from the channel store), then published it again as a brand new channel. That will create two instances of the channel with different IDs, so it'll show up twice if you've installed both. Deleting a published channel from the "Manage Channels" page of your developer account does not remove it from any Rokus that have it installed. It just deletes it from the channel store, so it can't be installed on any additional Rokus.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Ah, I see. Did Roku fix the issue where deleting it from the channel store prevents it from being removed from client devices?
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

If that was the behavior before, then yes. I removed a DEV version of the channel I work on (accidentally) and added it back. It did not remove the channel from any of the Rokus. I added the same channel back in with an identical name and had to re-add it to my Roku. It left me with two channels, one which was the original one I deleted from the website.

Luckily it was just a dev version and I was a bit careless. I am guessing Roku could fix the issue if someone didn't mean to delete the channel.

"destruk" wrote:
Ah, I see. Did Roku fix the issue where deleting it from the channel store prevents it from being removed from client devices?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"destruk" wrote:

I'm told by our service team that this should now be fixed, but haven't verified it.

- Joel
0 Kudos
djd616

I am having the same problem. My roku channels are duplicated over and over again and I don't know how to fix it.
0 Kudos