Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradC
Channel Surfer

can someone tell me how channels are sorted in the store?

Can someone (from roku) tell me how channels are sorted on the web store, on the roku 2 store, and the roku 3 store?

the system really doesn't seem to make sense and some numbers don't seem to add up.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: can someone tell me how channels are sorted in the store

Within a "genre" row, it's a usage metric, so channels used more appear higher in the list.
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

Is usage determined by install base, or frequency of use?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

It's an actual usage metric, not based on installs (though obviously, the size of the userbase does affect usage)
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

I know it doesn't really matter, so I thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm just a big enough nerd that I like to understand how stuff works so this kind of thing is interesting to me.

so, in the web store, for example, it seems odd that angry birds space would be ranked so low.

one would assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the number of reviews for a channel would have a fairly telling link to the user base and any type of "usage metric"
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
SkipFire
Visitor

I would guess that opening once for 3 hours is less impactful to the usage stats than opening it 6 times for 30 minutes each.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Angry Birds space is also only available on the Roku 3, so it'll have a much lower user base.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"TheEndless" wrote:
Angry Birds space is also only available on the Roku 3, so it'll have a much lower user base.

It's also free, so logically it would have a much higher user base than most.

With over 300 ratings, if the percentage of people who use a channel vs those who rate it is fairly constant, (no reason to believe otherwise) that would seem to indicate a pretty high usage rate in comparison with other more highly rated channels.
0 Kudos