Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ratish
Visitor

calling task.control = "STOP" reboots the box

Wanted to stop a task which i started so that i can reuse the task to spawn similar task with new set of data. But calling task.control = "STOP" reboots the roku.
Am i doing it wrong?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: calling task.control = "STOP" reboots the box

Define your own interface field for the Task node. Observe the field from within the Task, and exit the Task's main loop when the field is set.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
Define your own interface field for the Task node. Observe the field from within the Task, and exit the Task's main loop when the field is set.

That's a crutch... but in principle .control = "stop" should work, no? Definitely shouldn't be a YAWRR
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

The only thing I've managed to get from reading https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Task is a big headache. I have no clue what they're talking about. I've managed to get Tasks working to do what I need. I have about 5 or 6 Tasks running quite happily communicating with each other and the renderer thread, some of them using the "multiple times for several identical asynchronous operations" use case, and some of them using the "continuous server" use case. I never "STOP" any of my tasks, however. I've tried, just to see what happens, and in my case it hangs the renderer thread, requiring a device re-boot.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
... "STOP" any of my tasks, however. I've tried, just to see what happens, and in my case it hangs the renderer thread, requiring a device re-boot.

Thanks.
I haven't tried STOP myself but on other occasions have experienced the RSG "wedged" issue that requires reboot
0 Kudos
dan_shneider
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:
The only thing I've managed to get from reading https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Task is a big headache. I have no clue what they're talking about. I've managed to get Tasks working to do what I need. I have about 5 or 6 Tasks running quite happily communicating with each other and the renderer thread, some of them using the "multiple times for several identical asynchronous operations" use case, and some of them using the "continuous server" use case. I never "STOP" any of my tasks, however. I've tried, just to see what happens, and in my case it hangs the renderer thread, requiring a device re-boot.

Hey.
Could you please share how did you implement "continuous server" mode? I need this functionality as well.
0 Kudos