Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kavulix
Visitor

bug in roSpringboardScreen or roVideoScreen

I have been using a roSpringboardScreen to display an album and artist label by setting the description style to "audio." I also set the content type to "audio" and I enable the progress indicator.

o.ContentType = "audio"
o.Album = album
o.Artist = artist
springboard.SetDescriptionStyle("audio")
springboard.SetProgressIndicatorEnabled(true)
springboard.SetProgressIndicator(resumepos, length)

The springboard screen contained play and resume buttons that would display a roVideoScreen when pressed. When the back button was pressed it would return to the springboard screen and update the buttons and progress indicator.

while true
msg = wait(0, port)
if type(msg) = "roVideoScreenEvent" then
if msg.isScreenClosed() then
return currentpos
endif
endif
end while

Everything was working fine until recently which leads me to believe that a bug was introduced in a recent firmware update. I was previously able to use the audio description style without any problems but I am currently unable to use the audio style or a crash will occur. If SetDescriptionStyle("audio") is used then the second that the back button is pressed on a roVideoScreen and the msg.isScreenClosed() event is detected it causes the channel to crash. No crash report is displayed in the debug output in my console. It simply exits the channel entirely and returns to the main Roku menu. If I remove the SetDescriptionStyle("audio") setting and keep everything else the same then it works as expected and returns successfully to the springboard screen. This only began happening recently and since there is no crash report displayed I am sure it is a bug in the Roku firmware.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: bug in roSpringboardScreen or roVideoScreen

No stack trace would indicate that the channel is exiting cleanly. Without seeing your code, it's hard to say, but it sounds like there could be a timing issue. Could be that they introduced a bug, or that they fixed a bug that you were unwittingly exploiting, or something else altogether. Would you be willing to share the offending code, so we could see if there's anything that you might be overlooking?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kavulix
Visitor

It's open source software so I don't mind sharing the code. I was actually planning on releasing the new version at some point this week. The rest of the code is completed I'm just trying to figure out this last bug. I just PM'd you a link where you can download a channel to test the bug.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"kavulix" wrote:
It's open source software so I don't mind sharing the code. I was actually planning on releasing the new version at some point this week. The rest of the code is completed I'm just trying to figure out this last bug. I just PM'd you a link where you can download a channel to test the bug.

Well, I wish I could tell you that you were doing something wrong, but it looks like you're right. The channel just exits completely. I even put a stop breakpoint in there on the isScreenClosed() event, which was hit and wrote the stack trace to the debugger, but the channel still exited. :?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kavulix
Visitor

I guess I'll have to create a custom description for the springboard screen that automatically generates the album and artist labels instead of relying on the audio description style. Thanks for testing the code.
0 Kudos