Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

array function prams

I have an array of aa's that are a part of a settings screen, 20 different buttons that do different things. I'm calling a function from each button. In the below Autopaint is a function being called.
butts = []
button={title:"RUN DEMO" , action:AutoPaint, sec:"demo", } : butts.Push(button)
butts[index].action(varr, m )
You can see, this way requires me to have the same function parameters for all the buttons. I can of course get around this in a clunky way using the button index, but I'm wondering if there is a slick way that allows me to put the function parameters in the array somehow?

Thanks
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Rek
Visitor

Re: array function prams

"squirreltown" wrote:
I have an array of aa's that are a part of a settings screen, 20 different buttons that do different things. I'm calling a function from each button. In the below Autopaint is a function being called.
butts = []
button={title:"RUN DEMO" , action:AutoPaint, sec:"demo", } : butts.Push(button)
butts[index].action(varr, m )
You can see, this way requires me to have the same function parameters for all the buttons. I can of course get around this in a clunky way using the button index, but I'm wondering if there is a slick way that allows me to put the function parameters in the array somehow?

Thanks

What exactly are you trying to achieve? You could pre-cache all the arguments if they will always be the same for all button actions.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"Rek" wrote:
What exactly are you trying to achieve? You could pre-cache all the arguments if they will always be the same for all button actions.

It's no big deal, I already have it working fine by doing something like this:
if index = 0
butts[index].action(one set of params)
else if index = 1
butts[index].action(other set of params)
end if

I was just wondering if I could build the function params into the array somehow and just call
butts[index].action(butts[index].params)
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

butts = []
button={title:"RUN DEMO" , action:AutoPaint, sec:"demo", params:{param1: arg1, param2: arg2}} : butts.Push(button)

or,

b = butts[index]: b.action(b.params)

There are probably other, slicker, OOP-oriented ways to do that, depending on what the big picture of what you're trying to do is.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
    butts = []
button={title:"RUN DEMO" , action:AutoPaint, sec:"demo", params:{param1: arg1, param2: arg2}} : butts.Push(button)

Rats. I tried that and it didn't work, it threw "wrong # of Func params" here:
and not at the Line# of the function it's calling which does have 2 parameters.
That aside, the function parameters (inside the parenthesis) should accept some sort of AA?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
"belltown" wrote:
    butts = []

Rats. I tried that and it didn't work, it threw "wrong # of Func params" here:
and not at the Line# of the function it's calling which does have 2 parameters.
That aside, the function parameters (inside the parenthesis) should accept some sort of AA?

'action' only takes one param, an associative array. You'd need to extract the AA key values within 'action':

function action (params as object) as void
p1 = params.param1
p2 = params.param2
' etc ...

end function

If you wrap the parameters in an AA, you can have as may as you want without changing the call to 'action'; just add them to the 'params' AA when you set up your buttons, and write whatever code you need in 'action' to handle them.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:

If you wrap the parameters in an AA, you can have as may as you want without changing the call to 'action'; just add them to the 'params' AA when you set up your buttons, and write whatever code you need in 'action' to handle them.

Ok! that worked, thank you. I'm finally getting to where it matters how i do a thing, not just the doing of the thing.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Since the params member is part of the calling AA, there's no need to pass any parameters at all:

butts[index].action()

And in the action function:

function action() as void
p1 = m.params.param1
p2 = m.params.param2
etc.

However (you knew there was a however didn't you?), stylistically this isn't the greatest way to do things unless the parameters are fairly static. If you have to modify the params member of the AA just before making every call, it's better to explicitly pass them as parameters rather than doing something like this:

butts[index].params.param1 = something
butts[index].params.param2 = something_else
butts[index].action()

Hiding the fact that you're passing dynamic parameters to the function somewhat obfuscates the logic.

--Mark
0 Kudos