Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any alternatives to BrightScript?

I am reading the Roku docs and it looks like all apps for the Roku Digital Video Player must be written in BrightScript, with its language constructs like "ON ERROR GOTO [line number]".

Before I proceed further, I wanted to double-check: is this an accurate understanding of the Roku development environment?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: any alternatives to BrightScript?

No. Brightscript is the scripting language for developing channels. There are no line numbers in Brightscript.

Brightscript appears to be similar to VBA and JavaScript.
0 Kudos

"KennyJ" wrote:
No. Brightscript is the scripting language for developing channels. There are no line numbers in Brightscript.

Brightscript appears to be similar to VBA and JavaScript.

From the Roku BrightScript 2.0 Reference Manual, page 23 (downloaded with the SDK yesterday):

GOTO label
Transfers program control to the specified line number. GOTO label results in an branch. A label is an identifier terminated with a colon, on a line by itself. Example:

mylabel: 
print “Anthony was here!â€
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

"josephgrossberg" wrote:
if a person wants to develop an app for the Roku DVP, BrightScript is the only language option available, correct?

Correct. I personally would have chosen JS (or preferably Java) over a form of VB script, but everyone to their own.
0 Kudos